1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making an insulator become a conductor?

1. Nov 24, 2007 #1
    Good afternoon(or good morning,it depends on where you are :zzz:),this is my first topic in this great forum so don't be very tough with me okay?
    My question concerns the means of producing electricity and to be more precise:Electromagnetism.
    I read that if you move a conductor(such as copper for example)into a magnetic field,the valence electrons of its atoms will move out of their atoms(will be "freed")because of the energie provided by this magnetic field.
    So I was wondering:What if we move an insulator this time(plastic for example)into a huge and very strong magnetic field,strong enough to provide the needed energie for all the valence electrons in order to be freed.Does this mean that the plastic has become a conductor?
    Best Rigards,
    mino206

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Insulator and conductor are just two ends of the scale.
    Everything is a conductor to some extent - if you grab hold of a powerline you would conduct!

4. Nov 24, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

In other words, yes, if you put enough voltage to just about anything, its electrons will move.

5. Nov 24, 2007 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

This is often called "dielectric breakdown".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook