Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making Slide Presentations in LaTeX

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anyone know where I can find a working download for "Prosper" the LaTeX package that allows you to make Powerpoint-like slides using LaTeX. The prosper page on sourceforge is no longer working and I can't seem to find another site with a download.

Just to be safe: Prosper is free, so I'm not asking for any pirated software or anything illegal like that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Heh!

Never mind. Apparently Sourceforge just rearranged everything. I found it!:rolleyes:

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is it. The problem was that many links to the prosper page used a different address that was no longer valid and I got confused.

Thanks Kurdt!

6. Dec 16, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Most people I know use Beamer when making latex slides. I've not used both, so can't comment from experience, but I've heard Beamer is more powerful.

7. Dec 16, 2008 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Everyone I know uses Beamer as well.

Beamer is really terrific. I've used it, and it's really easy to learn as well as being extensive in its features. The finished presentation has a polished feel, that you don't find in other presentation software. There's also a detailed reference manual. You might want to take a look at the beamer package, G01.

8. Dec 16, 2008 #7
    Ok, I've never used any sort of latex. How do you do it? Where can I get a free program to try it out for school? Any ideas?

9. Dec 16, 2008 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can find out everything about latex here: http://www.latex-project.org/ including links to download sites.

10. Dec 16, 2008 #9
    Will it work with Vista???????

11. Dec 16, 2008 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, though it's a long time since I've used latex on windows, so things have probably changed a lot since then. Someone else here probably uses vista, though...

12. Dec 16, 2008 #11

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. First, you need to install the TeX system for windows. I recommend MiKTeX. Get the basic MiKTeX system from their download page.

Here are a couple of guides which should help you with LaTex and the Beamer package.

1) The not so Short Introduction to LaTeX (pdf)
    2) Beamer User Guide (pdf)

Finally, I also suggest you get an IDE for Latex, so that you don't need to use notepad each time you write the .tex file. My pick for windows is TeXnicCenter.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  13. Dec 17, 2008 #12
    I second his recommendation of MiKTeX and TeXnicCenter, but I provide the correct link for the second.

14. Dec 17, 2008 #13

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for the catch. Fixed the link.

15. Sep 5, 2009 #14
    I personally prefer beamer to prosper and use TeXnicCenter for hard-coding. But for all but the most sophisticated of presentations, Lyx (lyx.org) is a WYSIWYM gui-based editor that will bring you up to speed more quickly.

16. Sep 6, 2009 #15
    Although I love using Latex for writing articles/papers and even notes, I find it a real hindrance to create presentation slides without the ability to rearrange things in a WYSIWYG way. For this reason I use powerpoint with Iguanatex to make my presentations, which works awesome and is free.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?