1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making the equation of a parabola

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So i have a parabola graphed, i need to express y in terms of X. The vertex is 2,10 and the roots are 0,0 and 4,0.

2. Relevant equations
    ax^2+bx+c=y

quadratic

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought of working the quadratic in a reverse process, but it doesn't work. Because one of the roots is at 0,0, i guess it doesnt have either b or c. Because the paraboal is upwards and not downards, i guess X must be negative.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Use the vertex form of the quadratic:
    y = a(x - h)^2 + k,
    where (h, k) is the vertex and a is the same as the a in y = ax^2 + bx + c. Then plug in either root for x and y to solve for a. Once you get the complete vertex form, change it standard form and you'll see what b and c are.

4. Aug 10, 2011 #3
    man im feeling dumb, how am i supposed to know what b and c are?

i got to the point where i reachd 2b+c=9.52 after doing some algebra, with the other root, i have another result, so im also confused by that.

5. Aug 10, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

There are three possible equations for a parabola

y = ax2 + bx + c
    y = a(x-e)2 + f [we don't usually use e and f for constants]
    y = a(x-u)(x-v)

Any of them can be used, along with the co-ordinates of any 3 points on the graph, to generate 3 simultaneous equations in 3 unknowns , which can then be solved.

The second is quite useful if you happen to know the Turning Point - you can evaluate some of the constants by inspection.

The third is particularly useful if you know the roots [x intercepts] as again you can solve some constants by inspection.

6. Aug 10, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f(x) = a*x^2 + b*x + c is a quadratic with roots r1 and r2, it must be of the form k*(x - r1)*(x - r2), because it must vanish at x = r1 and at x = r2, and have powers of x no higher than 2.

RGV

7. Aug 11, 2011 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

Not sure how you got that. Let me try again. Start with the vertex form:
    y = a(x - h)^2 + k

The vertex is (2, 10), so you plug that in for h and k:
    y = a(x - 2)^2 + 10

Notice that there are still 3 variables. But we are given two points: (0, 0) and (4, 0). So plug in either x = 0 & y = 0, or x = 4 & y = 0, into the equation above. Now the only unknown is a. Solve for a.

Take this equation below and now plug in the value for a:
    y = a(x - 2)^2 + 10

Rewrite the above into standard form (y = ax^2 + bx + c) by squaring the binomial in the parentheses and simplifying. At the end, the number in front of x will be your b value, and the constant will be your c value. Now try it.

8. Aug 11, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

vertex is 2,10 and the roots are 0,0 and 4,0.
    Putting x= 2, y= 10, x= 0, y= 0, and x= 4, y= 4 into [itex]y= ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] gives you three linear equations for a, b, and c.

9. Aug 11, 2011 #8

PeterO

Homework Helper

Perhaps you could show us how you managed that.

10. Aug 15, 2011 #9
    well, i guess this was the most useful of the posts, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook