Mandl and Shaw, page 16, eqn (1.56)

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the potential at point x using the charge distribution \rho. It is determined that the potential can be calculated using the equation \phi(x) = \int\frac{\rho(x')d^3x'}{4\pi|x - x'|} and the relevant equations {\nabla}^2\phi = -\rho and {E}_L = -\nabla\phi.
Jimmy Snyder

Homework Statement

[tex]\int{E}_L^2d^3x = \int\frac{\rho(x)\rho(x')}{4\pi|x - x'|}d^3xd^3x'[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]{E}_L = -\nabla\phi[/tex]
[tex]{\nabla}^2\phi = -\rho[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int{E}_L^2d^3x = \int(\nabla\phi)^2d^3x = -\int\phi\nabla^2\phi d^3x = \int\rho(x)\phi(x)d^3x[/tex]
I suppose to finish up, I need to see why
[tex]\phi(x) = \int\frac{\rho(x')d^3x'}{4\pi|x - x'|}[/tex]
But I don't see it. Or am I on the wrong track.

By the way, I have the 1993 revised edition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks malawi_glenn, that's what I needed.

1. What is the significance of Mandl and Shaw, page 16?

Mandl and Shaw, page 16 refers to a specific page in a scientific publication by Mandl and Shaw. The page contains information related to their research or findings on a particular topic.

2. What does "eqn (1.56)" mean?

"eqn (1.56)" is a notation used to refer to a specific equation in the publication by Mandl and Shaw. In this case, it refers to equation number 1.56 on page 16.

3. What is the purpose of eqn (1.56) in Mandl and Shaw's publication?

The purpose of eqn (1.56) is to mathematically represent a relationship or concept that is being discussed in Mandl and Shaw's publication. It is a crucial part of their research and findings.

4. How can I access the information about eqn (1.56) in Mandl and Shaw's publication?

You can access the information about eqn (1.56) by obtaining a copy of Mandl and Shaw's publication. It may be available online, in a scientific database, or in a library. Once you have the publication, you can refer to page 16 and locate eqn (1.56) to read more about it.

5. Are there any other equations mentioned in Mandl and Shaw's publication?

Yes, there may be other equations mentioned in Mandl and Shaw's publication. Depending on the topic and scope of their research, they may have referenced multiple equations to support their findings and conclusions.