Manifolds: extrinsic and intrinsic

In summary, the group agrees that manifolds are globally non-euclidean but locally euclidean, with each point having a neighborhood homeomorphic to an open subset of euclidean space with the same dimension as the manifold. The difference between extrinsic and intrinsic constructions of a manifold lies in how it is defined and the information used to determine its curvature. In the extrinsic view, the manifold is embedded in a larger space and defined by an equation, while the intrinsic view defines it via its metric or other curvature-related information. For any extrinsic definition, there is only one matching intrinsic definition, but for any intrinsic definition, there can be multiple compatible extrinsic definitions. The dimension of the larger space in which the manifold is embedded is not
shereen1
Dear all
We all agree that a manifold is globally non euclidean but locally it is. So we can find near each point a hemeomorphic to an open set of euclidean space of the same dimension as the manifold. This is a general definition for all manifold to follow. Then what is the difference between extrinsic way of constructing a manifold and intrinsic one. I know that the first is related to embedded surface but still i didnt understand. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
shereen1 said:
So we can find near each point a hemeomorphic to an open set of euclidean space of the same dimension as the manifold.
'Homeomorphic', not 'hemeomorphic', just in case that wasn't a typo.

shereen1 said:
Then what is the difference between extrinsic way of constructing a manifold and intrinsic one. I know that the first is related to embedded surface but still i didnt understand.
The extrinsic view of a manifold is a subspace of a larger space - usually a space with more dimensions. In that case the manifold can be defined by an equation that tells us what points in that larger space it occupies. For instance the unit sphere, viewed extrinsically as a subset of Euclidean 3-space ('embedded' in that space), is the set of points ##(x,y,z)## that satisfies the equation ##x^2+y^2+z^2=1##. The intrinsic properties of the manifold - the curvature - can be derived from the extrinsic definition.

The intrinsic view does not define the manifold as embedded in another space. Rather, it defines it via the metric or related information that tells us about curvature. The metric for the above unit sphere is

$$
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & sin^2\theta \end{array} \right)
$$

where the coordinates are ##\theta## and ##phi## with ranges ##[0,\pi)## and ##[0,2\pi)## respectively and correspond to the spherical coordinate angles in the extrinsic formulation.

For any extrinsic definition there is only one possible matching intrinsic definition. But for any intrinsic definition there will usually be many different possible compatible extrinsic definitions, which are different ways of embedding the manifold in different parts of different host spaces.

Likes shereen1
Than
andrewkirk said:
'Homeomorphic', not 'hemeomorphic', just in case that wasn't a typo.The extrinsic view of a manifold is a subspace of a larger space - usually a space with more dimensions. In that case the manifold can be defined by an equation that tells us what points in that larger space it occupies. For instance the unit sphere, viewed extrinsically as a subset of Euclidean 3-space ('embedded' in that space), is the set of points ##(x,y,z)## that satisfies the equation ##x^2+y^2+z^2=1##. The intrinsic properties of the manifold - the curvature - can be derived from the extrinsic definition.

The intrinsic view does not define the manifold as embedded in another space. Rather, it defines it via the metric or related information that tells us about curvature. The metric for the above unit sphere is

$$
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & sin^2\theta \end{array} \right)
$$

where the coordinates are ##\theta## and ##phi## with ranges ##[0,\pi)## and ##[0,2\pi)## respectively and correspond to the spherical coordinate angles in the extrinsic formulation.

For any extrinsic definition there is only one possible matching intrinsic definition. But for any intrinsic definition there will usually be many different possible compatible extrinsic definitions, which are different ways of embedding the manifold in different parts of different host spaces.
Thank you for this reply yes for sure it is a typing error :).
I just need to check something. If the dimension of the manifold is n then we say that the neighborhood of each point in the manifold is Homeomorphic to an open subset of euclidean space of dimension n ( same dimension). My question is suppose i am looking to the manifold from an extrinsic point view let's say a 2- sphere embbeded in a 3 dimension euclidean space. Then do i say that the neighborhood of each point in the manifold( dimension 2 here) is Homeomorphic to an open subset of euclidean space of dimension 3 or 2??
Thank you for your reply

It's 2. The dimension of the space in which the manifold is embedded is not relevant.

you need to look at the 2-sphere in the subspace topology of the euclidean 3-space. you can remove the north pole from the sphere and lay it flat through projection because it is locally homeomorphic to flat 2-space.

Likes shereen1
shereen1 said:
Than

Thank you for this reply yes for sure it is a typing error :).
I just need to check something. If the dimension of the manifold is n then we say that the neighborhood of each point in the manifold is Homeomorphic to an open subset of euclidean space of dimension n ( same dimension). My question is suppose i am looking to the manifold from an extrinsic point view let's say a 2- sphere embbeded in a 3 dimension euclidean space. Then do i say that the neighborhood of each point in the manifold( dimension 2 here) is Homeomorphic to an open subset of euclidean space of dimension 3 or 2??
Thank you for your reply

It would be 2, because the sphere is a 2-manifold. Notice a patch of the sphere "looks more" like a copy of ##\mathbb R^2 ## than of ## \mathbb R^3 ## -- you can flatten it to look like a square. And notice that every point has a neighborhood homeomorphic _to an open ball_ which is itself homeomorphic to ## \mathbb R^n ##, stating only an open set allows possibilities like an open annulus, etc.

Likes shereen1

1. What is the difference between extrinsic and intrinsic manifolds?

Extrinsic manifolds are defined as subsets of a higher-dimensional space, while intrinsic manifolds are defined in terms of their own intrinsic properties and do not require embedding in a higher-dimensional space.

2. How are manifolds used in physics and engineering?

Manifolds are used in physics and engineering to describe and model physical systems, such as the curvature of space-time in general relativity or the flow of fluids in engineering applications. They provide a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems.

3. Can manifolds have different dimensions?

Yes, manifolds can have different dimensions. In fact, they can have any finite number of dimensions. The dimension of a manifold is defined by the number of coordinates required to describe its points.

4. How are manifolds related to topology?

Manifolds are a type of mathematical space that is studied in topology. In topology, the focus is on the properties of a space that are preserved under continuous transformations, and manifolds are one of the most important types of spaces studied in this field.

5. Are there real-world examples of manifolds?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of manifolds. Some common examples include the surface of a sphere or a torus, which are both two-dimensional manifolds embedded in three-dimensional space. Other examples include the flow of air over a wing, which can be modeled as a three-dimensional manifold, and the set of all possible positions of a moving object in three-dimensional space, which forms a four-dimensional manifold known as the space-time continuum.