1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manipulating Fourier transforms

1. May 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    6ogz1t.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I'm ok with the first part. I start with:

##\widetilde{f}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ipx}f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x##

Then moving on to the transform for ##e^{ip_0 x}f(x)## I get:

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ipx}e^{ip_0 x}f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x##

## = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-i(p-p_0)x}f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x##

## =\widetilde{f}(p-p_0)##

However I'm really not sure what to do for part b).

Here's my attempt so far:

Starting with:

##F_D(x_D) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! f(x)\Big[w(x_D - x)\Big] \, \mathrm{d}x##

The ##w(x_D - x)## part is similar to the previous section so I plug that in to get:

##F_D(x_D) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! f(x) \, \Big[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-i(x_D -x)p}\widetilde{w}(p) \, \mathrm{d}p\Big] \mathrm{d}x##

then rearrange a little to get:

##F_D(x_D) = \Big(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{ixp}f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x\Big) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ix_D p}\widetilde{w}(p) \, \mathrm{d}p##

The part in brackets is the transform giving ##\widetilde{f}(p)## so,

##F_D(x_D) = \widetilde{f}(p) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ix_D p}\widetilde{w}(p) \, \mathrm{d}p##

which can be neatened a little into:

##F_D(x_D) = \widetilde{f}(p)\widetilde{w}(p) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ix_D p} \, \mathrm{d}p##

so now I have ##F_D(x_D)## written in a way that's already starting to look like the desired outcome. However it only gets messy now as I do the fourier transform:

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{ix_D p}\Big[F_D(x_D)\Big] \, \mathrm{d}x_D = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{ix_D p}\Big[\widetilde{f}(p)\widetilde{w}(p) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ix_D p} \, \mathrm{d}p\,\Big] \mathrm{d}x_D##

The exponents cancel to leave

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \widetilde{f}(p)\widetilde{w}(p) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! \, \mathrm{d}p\, \mathrm{d}x_D##

which I really don't think is a very good result!

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you explain why it is allowed to move ##\tilde w(p)## in front of the integral sign ?

4. May 23, 2016 #3
    Ah, I see now, it can't be shifted over because it's a function of p so it needs to stay within the integral over dp.

Furthermore I've just been looking through some old lecture notes and it turns out I was very much on the right track (woohoo!). The question is essentially proving the convolution theorem.

So I'd got to the point:

##F_D(x_D) = \widetilde{f}(p)\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ix_D p}\widetilde{w}(p) \, \mathrm{d}p##

which actually neatens up to

##F_D(x_D) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ix_D p}\widetilde{f}(p)\widetilde{w}(p) \, \mathrm{d}p##

which can be made into a standard fourier transform by adding factors of ##\sqrt{2\pi}##:

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}F_D(x_D) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! e^{-ix_D p}\widetilde{f}(p)\widetilde{w}(p) \, \mathrm{d}p##

then taking the inverse:

##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\widetilde{F}_D(p) = \widetilde{f}(p)\widetilde{w}(p)##

which clearly leads to the desired result:

##\widetilde{F}_D(p) = \sqrt{2\pi}\widetilde{f}(p)\widetilde{w}(p)##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted