How to Clean Maple Syrup Vandalism

• Maple
  • Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary: You should try the online dating thing. In summary, someone thought it would be a hilarious prank to coat someone's car, front doorstep, and patio with a layer of maple syrup.
tandoorichicken
Hello PF peoples!

Today was a sad, sad, day.:cry:
I was on my way to class and I stepped on something sticky right outside my front door. Long story short, someone thought it would be really funny to coat my car, front doorstep and patio with a generous layer of maple syrup.:mad:
I know from experience that maple syrup is one of the hardest things to clean up. The car wash down the street pretty much took care of my car, and the complex custodian took care of my doorstep, so all that's left is my patio. I tried using bleach and got most of the stuff off the concrete, but there's still a lot left on the stucco ledge and my glass/mesh screen door. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the ant-attracting syrup off my stuff?

:confused: :yuck: :bugeye: :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
WD 40 seems to work on just about anything. You may need a stiff bristle brush to help it along. Follow up with soap and water.

You need a flock of Purple Winged Sap Suckers.

tandoorichicken said:
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the ant-attracting syrup off my stuff?
Lots and lots of ants should do the trick. :biggrin:

I can't figure out the logic in the maple syrup vandalism in the first place. Sounds like an expensive gag to begin with. Unless maple syrup is cheap where you are. And then, so, but what? The idea is to make everything sticky and difficult to wash? You can't see it, but my face has its puzzled look on it. I don't get it.

Anyway, any clue who did it, tandoorichicken?

Next time she asks you if the jeans make her look fat, you are supposed to say, "No, you look absolutely gorgeous."

You could try putting a cloth over it pressing down hard and ripping it off... bit Like waxing or more so like nads seeing that it does contain honey. Or you could try the famous bubble gum trick by outting ice on it to make it really cold.

rhuthwaite said:
You could try putting a cloth over it pressing down hard and ripping it off... bit Like waxing or more so like nads seeing that it does contain honey. Or you could try the famous bubble gum trick by outting ice on it to make it really cold.
AHA! I would recognize you anywhere - Lin Chi, can I get an appointment next Friday? I need a half-waffle double Brazilian with a smack-up, and a maple-walnut Thai deep Swedish with a quarter strip electrolysis and cold bubble gum lift. Can you squeeze me in? Please...?

umm... wrong person.. you'll have to go to a professional for that

Naw... she tried that last time, and was disappointed by the results that I provided. :redface:

Well the professionals I went to did it well, and painlessly you should learn from them

I do have a moderate amount of Novocaine in stock somewhere...

I guess that might work. Still it doesn't improve your skills

I have never considered consciousness to be a requirement for a lover. (In fact, it has occassionally been counter-productive.)

As for the clean-up, I could probably arrange to send over a couple of hungry Quebecois lumberjacks.

I prefer to be conscious and know what is happening even if I don't like it

Where the hell were you when I was single? :grumpy:

Umm I wasn't living in the gutters at that time

1. How should I clean up fresh maple syrup vandalism?

If the maple syrup has just been spilled or poured, the best way to clean it up is by first soaking up as much of the syrup as possible using paper towels or a cloth. Then, mix equal parts warm water and white vinegar and use it to scrub the affected area. Finally, rinse the area with warm water and dry it with a clean cloth.

2. Can I use soap or detergent to clean up maple syrup vandalism?

No, soap and detergent can actually make maple syrup vandalism worse. These products can cause the syrup to spread and become more difficult to clean. It's best to avoid using them and stick to a vinegar and water solution instead.

3. What should I do if the maple syrup has dried and hardened?

If the maple syrup has already dried and hardened, you can use a plastic scraper or spatula to gently scrape it off the affected surface. Be careful not to scratch or damage the surface. Then, follow the same cleaning steps as mentioned above for fresh maple syrup vandalism.

4. Will cleaning up maple syrup vandalism damage the affected surface?

It depends on the type of surface and the severity of the vandalism. In most cases, the vinegar and water solution should not cause any damage. However, if the syrup has been left for a long time or has seeped into porous surfaces, it may cause discoloration or damage. In these cases, it's best to consult a professional cleaner.

5. Can I prevent maple syrup vandalism from happening again?

To prevent maple syrup vandalism, it's important to address any spills or drips immediately and clean them up thoroughly. You can also consider using a sealant or protective coating on surfaces that are vulnerable to vandalism. Additionally, installing security cameras or increasing lighting in the area can also act as a deterrent for vandals.