1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marginal revenue as a function of *price* instead of quantity?

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mondo Inc. estimates that it can sell 3400 of its premium espresso machine, the Caffeinator, at a price of $900 each, but it will lose 100 sales for each $50 increase in price of the machine. Let p be the price and q be the number of machines sold.
    (a) Write q as a linear function of p.
    (b) Write the revenue R as a function of p, and find the marginal revenue, MR, with respect to p.

2. Relevant equations
    This is straight out of an exam so I'm guessing it's not a typo. Isn't revenue usually a function of the quantity produced, not the price? I can solve for an equation for part a), but part b) eludes me.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got q = -2p + 5200 for a), but have no idea how to do b).

Am I reading the question wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks so much in advance! =)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

you have a direct relation between q & p, q(p) , so should first write total revenue as

R(p) = q(p).p

then substitue for q(p) in terms of p

ie because of the direct relation, you should be able to express it in terms of either, R(q) = R (p)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook