1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Birth Death Model: M/M/C Queueing System

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So for M/M/C queueing systems, I have two types of problems that I have been asked to deal with.

For the first question I am given in my notes, is where the arrival rate is constant λ=10 and service rate is μ=5.122 with 2 servers, i.e. C=2. For this question, I have used the formula to determine the steady state probabilities Pn, which denotes the probability of having n customers in the system.

[tex] p_{n} = (\rho^{n} / n!)(1/S), n ≤ c [/tex]
    [tex] p_{n} = (\rho^{c} / c!)(\rho/c)^{n-c} (1/S), n ≥ c+1[/tex]

where [tex] S = \sum_{n=0}^{c} \rho^{n}/n! + (\rho^{c}/c!)((\rho/c)/(1-(\rho/c)) [/tex]

On another question, I am given the arrival rate λ=4/(n+1) where n is the number of customers in the system, and μ(the service rate) =2, C(servers) =3 with the system being full once there are 4 customers in the system.

To calculate the steady state probabilities for this question, we have used the formula;

[tex]
    S=1 + λ_{0}/μ_{1} + λ_{1}/μ_{2} + ..... = 1/p_{0}[/tex]

[tex] p_{n} = (λ_{0}λ_{1} + λ_{2}...... λ_{n-1})/(μ_{1}μ_{2}μ_{3}...μ_{n}) [/tex]

I am having difficulty understanding which formula I should use, depending on the problem. Is the first formula only required when I have an M/M/C queue and the arrival rate is constant.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. So that means you cannot use the first formula in the second problem, because: (i) the arrival rate is not constant; and (ii) the queue capacity is finite. (Note: the first formula does not apply either if the queue capacity is finite. There are fancier formulas you can use instead.)

I cannot make any sense of your pn formula in the second case; it looks wrong to me.

It is a mistake to use canned formulas for problems like the second one (unless it, too, happened to be done in your notes). Instead, start from first principles. (1) You have a birth-death process. (2) Draw the transition diagram. (3) Write down in detail, one-by-one, the steady-state equations. (4) Solve the equations [NOT difficul!].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook