Mars as a pre-tectonic model for Earth?

In summary: Anyway, if you're trying to argue that Mars is a better analog for Earth in terms of pre-tectonic environment, I'd argue that the evidence simply doesn't support that claim.
cph
Might Mars serve as a pre-tectonic model for Earth? For example, no continents, no mountain building nor deep oceans? And does homogeneity of Valles marinaris, as opposed to Grand Canyon, suggest homogeneity for Earth's pre-tectonic environment?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't think so. You have the Martian dichotomy with the comparatively high, thick crusted, heavily cratered, old southern half and the younger, lightly cratered, thinly crusted northern plains.

You have strong residual magentism, with some evidence supporting early spreading ridges. There is the volcanism of the Tharsis bulge. And a host of other distinctive features.

I don't see these as being primitive in character - certainly not most of them - so it just doesn't speak to me as being an analog for an early Earth.

If you look at the magnetic signature of Mars you will note a spreading center (marked by reversals in Mars' magnetic field) was present prior to whatever event caused the Martian Crustal Dichotomy.

http://jmars.asu.edu/download

Shootist said:
If you look at the magnetic signature of Mars you will note a spreading center (marked by reversals in Mars' magnetic field) was present prior to whatever event caused the Martian Crustal Dichotomy.

http://jmars.asu.edu/download

Bingo!

Not to mention Olympus Mons, the largest known mountain, which is an extinct volcano.

Mars is POST-tectonic, not pre tectonic.

Perhaps the fact that Mars is 40% of the mass of Earth might explain this fact, as the energy radiating from the Martian core and mantle had less mass to pass through on its way to outer space than on Earth, in addition to there (likely) having been less of such energy to begin with.

OOH!

Actually, I just thought of something.

What does it mean to be tectonically active?

Does it require plates to be crashing into one another, or spreading away from one another, or does it simply require my usual definition of "crunchy on the outside, gooey on the inside"?

Am I misusing the term, and should I really be substituting the term "volcanically active" for my customary usage of the term?

Anyways, this observation doesn't change my original statement, as the evidence of tectonic spreading on Mars indicated by Ophiolite and Shootist clearly exemplifies tectonic activity in the more usual sense in Mars' past.

Last edited:
Ophiolite:

Sorry! I didn't mean to ignore you, but I read through this thread rather quickly, and I didn't realize that my first post to this thread post (post #4) was, in some respects, a duplicate of yours, even though Olympus Mons isn't technically part of the Tharsis Bulge (though it's near enough that it might be a product of the same hot spot).

1. How is Mars used as a pre-tectonic model for Earth?

Mars is used as a pre-tectonic model for Earth because it is a smaller planet with a similar composition and history. By studying the geological features and processes on Mars, scientists can gain insights into how Earth's tectonic plates may have formed and evolved in the past.

2. What evidence supports the idea that Mars once had tectonic activity?

There are several lines of evidence that support the idea of tectonic activity on Mars. These include the presence of large-scale structures such as volcanic and impact basins, the distribution of magnetic fields on the planet's surface, and the presence of fault lines and mountain ranges that suggest movement of tectonic plates.

3. How does Mars' lack of a global magnetic field affect its geological processes?

Mars' lack of a global magnetic field means that it does not have a protective magnetosphere, which allows for more intense solar winds to interact with the planet's atmosphere. This can lead to erosion of the planet's surface and changes in its geological processes, such as the formation of features like dust storms and dust devils.

4. Are there any similarities between Earth and Mars' tectonic activity?

Yes, there are many similarities between Earth and Mars' tectonic activity. Both planets have experienced volcanic and seismic activity, and have features such as mountains, valleys, and canyons that are indicative of tectonic movement. However, the scale and intensity of these processes may differ due to the size and composition differences between the two planets.

5. How does studying Mars' tectonic history help us understand the evolution of Earth's tectonic plates?

Studying Mars' tectonic history provides scientists with a unique opportunity to observe and understand the fundamental processes that shaped our own planet. By comparing the similarities and differences between Mars and Earth, we can gain a better understanding of the factors that influence tectonic activity and how it has evolved over time on our own planet.