Mass and weight, kg and Newtons

In summary, weight and mass are not the same thing in physics. Weight is a force measured in Newtons, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and is measured in kilograms. However, in everyday language, weight is often used as a synonym for mass, causing confusion. Additionally, there is a third meaning of weight, which refers to the quantity shown on a spring scale. It is important to understand the context in which weight is being used in order to avoid confusion.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
If I know an object has a mass of 5 kg, and I want to find its weight on earth, I multiply it by 9.81 - right? That equals 49.05 kg. Now, if I want to convert it to Newtons, I multiply it by additional 9.81 So it would equal 481.18 [N]?

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
If I know an object has a mass of 5 kg, and I want to find its weight on earth, I multiply it by 9.81 - right? That equals 49.05 kg.
You do not multiply the mass by 9.81. The mass of the object is 5 kg, period. You multiply that 5 kg by the acceleration due to gravity, 9.81 meters/second2 (F=ma). That yields 49.05 kg·m/s2, or 49.05 Newtons.

So weight and mass in kg are the same thing?

Femme_physics said:
So weight and mass in kg are the same thing?

Weight is FORCE. Force has the unit of "Newtons".

Zz.

So when people say "I weigh 60 kg" they mean 60 Newtons? I'm confused.

Femme_physics said:

Would you rather we use pedestrian language, or would you rather we use the exact terminology as used in physics? The CONTEXT of the question here makes a lot of difference, and you will continue to see how the same term used in physics are used differently in everyday language.

So now you have to decide which of these you wish to learn and apply in this question.

Zz.

Femme_physics said:
When someone says "I weigh 60 kg" they are using an old colloquial meaning of the word "weight". In that sense, "weight" is a synonym for mass. Physicists don't like that meaning because (a) there is an unambiguous alternative ("My mass is 60 kg") and (b) "weight" is a force to physicists (it would be better to say "I weigh 588 Newtons").

the body has mass of 5kg. weight is not measured in kg. it is measured in Newtons. in layman language weight and mass are same but they are different in physics. don't get confused

Ah...so it's the laymen who confused me. They must be destroyed.

Thanks ;)

In this case, the lay meaning of weight as a synonym for mass predates the use by physicists as a synonym for gravitational force.

To make matters worse, there is a third meaning of the term "weight", which is the quantity shown on an ideal spring scale. Call this "scale weight". To illustrate the difference, consider a person whose mass is 60 kg.
  • Person at sea level at the Earth's equator:
    • Colloquial weight: 60 kg
    • Gravitational weight: 588.85 Newtons
    • Scale weight: 586.82 Newtons
  • Person on the surface of the Moon at the Moon's equator:
    • Gravitational weight: 97.32 Newtons
    • Scale weight: 97.32 Newtons
  • Person in the International Space Station:
    • Gravitational weight: 528.58 Newtons
    • Scale weight: 0 Newtons

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How are kilograms and Newtons related?

Kilograms and Newtons are both units of measurement for mass and weight, respectively. One kilogram is equivalent to roughly 9.8 Newtons, which is the force of gravity on Earth.

3. Can an object have different masses but the same weight?

Yes, an object's mass can vary while its weight remains constant. This is because weight is influenced by the force of gravity, while mass is an intrinsic property of an object.

4. How is weight calculated?

Weight is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (in kg) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). The resulting unit is Newtons (N).

5. Why do we use Newtons instead of kilograms to measure weight?

Newtons are used to measure weight because they take into account the force of gravity, which can vary depending on the location. This makes it a more accurate measurement of an object's weight compared to using kilograms.