1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass connected with three springs-Oscillations

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m is attached to three springs A , B , C of equal force constants k as shown in the figure.The angle between each pair of springs is 120° initially . If the particle is pushed slightly against the spring C and released, find the time period of oscillation.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the particle be displaced from O to P .i.e OP=x . Spring C is compressed by distance x .Spring A is stretched by a distance PA - OA . Spring B is stretched by a distance PB - OB.
    Perpendicular OX and OY are dropped on PA and PB respectively . For small displacement BY ≈ BO and AO ≈ AX .So, PX is approximately extension in spring A .PX=POsinα or PX=POcosβ .

Now , how do I determine the angle α or β so that I may proceed with the problem ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The distance PO is given, say d. You can find PA with the Law of Cosines. (The angle POA is 120°. )

ehild

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3
    Let the length of spring be L
    OA≈XA =L

If we consider ΔOPA then [itex]L^2 = d^2 + (PX + L)^2 - 2d(PX+L)Cosβ[/itex]

PX is the stretching in spring which is ultimately what we are trying to find and is an unknown and so is L .How will we get a definite value of β ? β should turn out to be 60° .

5. Dec 17, 2012 #4
    There is no need of introducing β. Use Law of Cosines as ehild pointed out.

6. Dec 17, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to find the resultant force acting on the point mass which is displaced towards C, say, with distance d. The spring C exerts force of magnitude kd, the other strings exert forces of magnitude k(L'-L) where L' is the stretched length of the springs connected to A and B. L' can we obtained with the Cosine Law.
    These forces act along the springs, and you need the component parallel with spring C which is k(L'-L)cos(β). β is very close to 60°.

ehild

7. Dec 17, 2012 #6
    ehild...thank you very much :smile:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  8. Dec 17, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you solved the problem? What is the result?

ehild

9. Dec 17, 2012 #8
    Force due to spring C=kd
    Component of Force due to spring A =k(xsin60°)(cos60°)=kd/4
    Component of Force due to spring A =k(xsin60°)(cos60°)=kd/4

Total restoring force =(3/2)kd

Effective force constant = (3/2)k

Time period = 2∏(√(2m/3k)) which is the correct answer .

The problem for me was to get the stretching in the springs . Though I still havent been able to apply Law of Cosines .I found the stretching from isosceles triangle OXA .Angles opposite to equal sides must be equal , hence ∠AOX=90° .Now∠AOP=120° .So ∠POX =30° .

If I apple Law of cosines in ΔAOP

L'2 = L2 + d2 -2(d)(L)cos120°

L'2 = L2 + d2 +(d)(L)

Now I am stuck here ?

10. Dec 18, 2012 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you have shown in post #1 is not an isosceles triangle if the angle is 90°, or if it is isosceles triangle the angle is not 90°. But you are right , the angles at the base of a very elongated isosceles triangle can be approximated by 90°. It is a usual approximation, and the solution is correct.
    What I suggested, it would have been a more rigorous derivation, applying calculation with small quantities. That means keeping only the linear terms of a small quantity, and using some approximate formulas, useful to remember:

1/(1+δ) a≈1-δ, √(1+δ)≈1+δ/2, sin(δ)≈δ, cos(δ)≈1.

(They follow from the Taylor expansion, stopping at the linear term.)

L'= L2(1 + d2/L2 +d/L)

δ=d/L <<1, its second power can be ignored, and applying √(1+δ)=1+δ/2, L'=L(1+d/(2L))

The stretching of the spring is L'-L=d/2. It should be multiplied by cos(β. You can show that β=pi/3-α. sin(α) is some multiple of d/L, a small quantity, cos(α)≈1, so cos(β)≈1/2+√3/2sin(α).
    It is multiplied by d/L,

d/(2L)(1/2+√3/2sin(α))=d/(4L) +a second-order small quantity, ≈d/4L.

ehild

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  11. Dec 18, 2012 #10
    Thanks for the wonderful explaination :smile: It had never crossed my mind there was so much going behind the scenes . :biggrin:

You have been kind enough to explain the maths .

I am trying to learn some maths here , so was unable to comprehend certain things...

How?

How did we get the second term ? Shouldnt it be negative ?

Why are we multiplying with d/L ?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. Dec 18, 2012 #11

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

β=π/3-α . See picture. You can understand that alpha decreases with d. If d is very small with respect to L, so is alpha (with respect to pi)
    You need the component of k(L'-L), which is cos(β)k(L'-L).

cos(pi/3-α)=cos(π/3)cosα-sin(π/3)sin(-α)=cos(π/3)cosα+sin(π/3)sinα.

k(L'-L)=kd/2. I made an error here in the previous post.

So the component of force from string A is k(d/2)cosβ=k(d/2)(1/2+√3/2 sinα) ≈ kd/4 as sinα is a very small quantity.

ehild

Attached Files:

13. Dec 18, 2012 #12
    Thanks ehild...You have explained the maths behind the problem very nicely :smile:

14. Dec 18, 2012 #13

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another approach (not necessarily any better).

See attached figure which shows the three springs in the initial configuration rotated so that spring C is vertical.

Suppose x is increased by dx. Taking differentials of L2 = x2 + d2 gives 2LdL = 2xdx, so dL = (x/L)dx. Using x/L = 1/2 in the initial configuration yields dL = dx/2.

So, if spring C is compressed by dx, the other two springs stretch by dx/2.

Attached Files:

15. Dec 18, 2012 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice explanation, TSny!

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook