1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass-Luminosity-Time relation (Astronomy)

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The lifetime of the sun on the main sequenceof the hertzprung-russel diagram is estimated to be 10^10 years. Assuming that the luminosities of stars on the upper diagram main sequence vary as mass^4, estimate the solar mass of a star for which it's main squence lifetime is 10^6 years.

2. Relevant equations
    L = k M^b
    T = kM / L = k M^1-b
    T = k M^-2

'=k' is a subsitute for the proportional symbol
    b = beta

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the star is going to be heavier, but I'm not given any values for luminosity. And when I try to equate time to mass I get funny answers. A push in the right direction here?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2
    K the sun's luminosity is 3.9E26 W, I figured I will use this to help me solve the answer.

4. Jan 1, 2012 #3
    The mass luminosity relation isn't a physical model; it's an empirical curvefit. The best fit isn't necessarily a pure power function.

It can be

L/L๏ = K (M/M๏)^a

But K isn't required to be 1.

It can also be more complicated, such as

L/L๏ = K₁ (M/M๏)^a₁ + K₂ (M/M๏)^a₂

For example, the mass luminosity relation for the mass interval from 2 suns to 20 suns is approximately

L/L๏ = 1.505964 (M/M๏)^3.5 − 0.0252982 (M/M๏)^4.5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook