1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of a ball with different density

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys.
    Look at this one, I have a ball with density p1 and radius R. Inside the ball they dig another ball with radius R/2 and fill it up with material that has density p2. My question is, why does the mass "m" equals to what they wrote in the answer (marked with red)? why do I need to subtract the densitys in order to find the new mass?
    10x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      30.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

M is the mass of a solid ball of density p1 and radius R. But you've cut out a ball of radius R/2 and replaced it with a different density. To find the new mass of the ball: subtract the mass you cut out (p1) and add back the mass you replaced it with (p2).

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    Still, this is what I got (in the pic).

Attached Files:

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Looks good to me.

6. Oct 25, 2008 #5
    Ok, so do you know maybe what is that expression I marked in red could be?

7. Oct 25, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Beats me. Where did you get it?

I assume that you've presented the problem accurately: Find the new mass of the large ball?

8. Oct 25, 2008 #7
    Oh, sorry, I forgot to post the entire problem...:blushing:
    Anyway, they did what they did with ball, then, they put it on a surface with friction, diverted it a bit and then release (by a "bit" I mean that the angle is really small). the question is to find the period time T of the movement of the ball.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?