How to Calculate Mass of Binary Star Systems Using Kepler's Law and Iteration?

In summary, the problem requires calculating the mass of an astrometric binary system with a period of 10 years and an angular separation of 15mas. The luminosity is neglected. The equation used is M1 + M2 = (a/w)^3/p^2, but the issue is that M1 is unknown. To solve this, the ratio q = M2/M1 can be used with a1 and a2. This results in a 3rd degree equation, which can be solved using an iterative method. The formula for iteration is q_i = (1+q_{i-1})^{2/3} q_0, but the process of solving this equation with iteration is not known.
quasarLie

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the mass of an astrometric binaries with P=10 years, and a1=15mas, parallax w=64mas
the luminosity is neglected

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used this equation:
[tex] M_1 + M_2 = \frac{(a/w)^3}{p^2}
[/tex]

but the problem is taht i don't have M1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect when the problem asks you to calculate the mass, they mean the total mass of the system, i.e. M1+M2.

No finally, i think that i have to use q =M2/M1= a1/a2 replace in the equation but then i will get a 3 dgree equation which i have to solve it with iterative methode (i don't know how yet)

quasarLie said:
No finally, i think that i have to use q =M2/M1= a1/a2 replace in the equation but then i will get a 3 dgree equation which i have to solve it with iterative methode (i don't know how yet)

How will you know a1 and a2?

I have a1 i will use Kepler law, it will become
[tex] \frac{a_1}{p^2}= M_1\frac{q^3}{(1+q)^2} w^3[/tex]
the resolution will give a 3rd degree equation which can be solved using:
[tex] q_i = (1+q_{i-1})^{2/3} q_0[/tex]
Until it converge but i don't know how to use this part (to solve this equation with iteration)

What is the definition of a binary star system?

A binary star system is a celestial system composed of two stars orbiting around a common center of mass.

How is the mass of a binary star system calculated?

The mass of a binary star system is calculated by observing the orbital motion of the stars and using Kepler's laws of planetary motion to determine the total mass of the system.

Can the mass of a binary star system change over time?

Yes, the mass of a binary star system can change over time due to various factors such as mass transfer between the stars, mergers, or interactions with other objects in the system.

What types of stars are typically found in a binary star system?

Binary star systems can consist of any type of stars, but they are most commonly found among low-mass stars such as red dwarfs and main sequence stars.

How do binary star systems affect their surroundings?

Binary star systems can influence their surroundings through their gravitational pull, which can affect the orbits of nearby objects and even lead to the formation of other celestial bodies such as planets.