Mass of cylinder using ang.velocity

In summary, the system consists of a solid uniform cylinder of radius 0.375m and a 3.00 kg stone tied to the end of a light string. When released from rest, the stone reaches a speed of 3.50 m/s after falling 2.50m. To find the mass of the cylinder, the formula F=M*a is used to calculate the force of gravity on the stone, which is then used to solve for the inertia of the cylinder using the formula Kf=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2. Using the equation v=rw, the angular velocity of the cylinder is found to be 9.3 rad/s. Solving for the unknowns in
bigtymer8700
A light string is wrapped around the outer rim of a solid uniform cylinder of radius .375m that can rotate without friction about an axle through its center. A 3.00 kg stone is tied to the free end of the string When the system is released from rest, you determine that the stone reaches a speed of 3.50 m/s after having fallen 2.50m .
What is the mass of the cylinder?

Ive solved for:
F=M*a
3kg*9.8=29N
29N*2.5m=73.5J

i know its a solid cylinder so I=1/2 Mr^2 so i need to solve for the inertia. from here i got stuck i know i have to use

Kf=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2 i don't know where to go from here. do i solve for the angular velocity(w)? or Inertia?

i know v=rw so would w=v/r i could use 3.5m/s/.375m to get 9.3rad/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone know if I am doing this one rite?

i used the Ki + Ui=Kf + Uf

Ki=0
Ui=mgy=73.5J
Kf=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2
Uf=0

i got
73.5=1/2Iw^2+18.375 so

1/2(I)w^2=55.125J

im stuck on Kf where i have to solve for the two unknowns I* w* i used v=rw to solve for w is that correct?

Last edited:
got it

1. What is the definition of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating or spinning around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity related to the mass of a cylinder?

Angular velocity and the mass of a cylinder are not directly related. However, the angular velocity can be used to calculate the moment of inertia of a cylinder, which is related to its mass and shape.

3. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a cylinder is I = ½mr², where m is the mass of the cylinder and r is the radius of the cylinder.

4. How can angular velocity be used to calculate the mass of a cylinder?

To calculate the mass of a cylinder using angular velocity, the moment of inertia and radius of the cylinder must first be determined using the formula I = ½mr². Then, the mass can be calculated by rearranging the formula to m = 2I/r².

5. Can angular velocity be used to determine the density of a cylinder?

No, angular velocity alone cannot be used to determine the density of a cylinder. The density of a cylinder is determined by its mass and volume, not its angular velocity.