Mass of used hydrogen in an isothermal process

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Uku
Messages
79
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have hydrogen in a 12 L tank, at T=15 C. Some of it is used, the T = const. and Δp=0.4 MPa,
the molar mass of hydrogen is M=2*10^-3 J/(mol*K). Find the mass of the used hydrogen.

Homework Equations



Am I wrong in simply using:

[itex]\Delta m=\frac{M}{RT}V\Delta p[/itex] ?

That gives roughly 4 kg's..

Thanks,
U.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Uku,

The equation you have used is appropriate. You could have gone wrong in the units, though.
 
By "could have" you mean you put in the numbers and got a different answer?
 
No, I didn't put in the numbers. I was just confirming the equation use :smile:

Though, 4 kg does seem a bit too much...:rolleyes:
 
Uku said:
By "could have" you mean you put in the numbers and got a different answer?

The answer is different from yours. What number did you use for the volume? And the molar mass is 2*10-3 kg/mol, not J/(mol*K):-p
 
The pressure is all right, but what number have you plugged in for volume?ehild
 
Well, then plugging in all data,
Δm=(2*10-3*0.012*0.4*10-6)/(8.3145*288)=9.6/2394 how can it be 4 kg? :confused:

ehild
 
I messed up on R, since I wrote [itex]R=8.314*10^{-3}\frac{kJ}{K}[/itex] when trying to write R in terms of kJ.
 
That I did not guess. Why in kJ-s?

But You got the correct result at the end now? :biggrin:

ehild