1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass on incline will it slip or stick?

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Figure shows a block of mass m resting on a 20* slope. The block has coefficients of friction uS=0.80 and uK=0.50 with the surface. It is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging block of mass 2.0 kg.

Part A:
    What is the minimum mass m that will stick and not slip?

Part B:
    If this minimum mass is nudged ever so slightly, it will start being pulled up the incline. What acceleration will it have?

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I really have no idea how to do Part B, but I tried part A and was real confident with my answer but it turned out wrong. This is what I did.

(2kg)(9.8)=19.6N for the hanging mass

assuming that the Hanging mass = to the tension force on the block with mass m I then did this...

m=2.66kg and this is wrong

Were did I go wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi charan1! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(Useful tip: don't bother to multiply everything by 9.8 … all the terms have 9.8, so just call it g, and cancel it at the end. :wink:)

(oh … and have a mu: µ :smile:)

I take it you were applying Newton's second law in the direction of the slope.

That means that you must include all the forces … you left out the force due to gravity. :smile:

(For part B, use µK instead of µS)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?