Rocket mass ratio for 8 km/s final speed with 2100 m/s exhaust

  • Thread starter Thread starter cycam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Ratio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 13K views
cycam
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A single-stage rocket is fired from rest from a deep-space platform, where gravity is negligible.

If the rocket burns its fuel in a time of 50.0 s and the relative speed of the exhaust gas is v_ex=2100 m/s, what must the mass ratio m_{0}/m be for a final speed v of 8.00 km/s (about equal to the orbital speed of an Earth satellite)?

Homework Equations



v-v0= -v_exln(m/m0) = v_exln(m0/m)

The Attempt at a Solution



having a rough time understanding the equation, any tips or hints?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if you are supposed to make a formula for the mass ratio as a function of time (it does vary). Is the mass lost at a constant rate?
 
It doesn't say that it has to be which i would assume it shouldn't be. All I know about the question is what you see. So to answer your question, i don't know. I was hoping someone would be able to answer that lol.
 
Does the rocket start from rest? If so, and you only care about the mass ratio and t=50 sec., then you just have to work out the log equation.
 
Yes, it appears that it is starting from rest. How would I go about finding the mass ratio? Also, the log equation?

How do I go about finding the mass of the rocket? (is that even the right question to ask)
 
Last edited:
I'll help with the equation. It is known as the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

[tex]\Delta v = v_{\text{exhaust}}<br /> \ln\left(\frac{m_{\text{init}}}{m_{\text{final}}}\right)[/tex]

where

[itex]v_{\text{exhaust}}[/itex] is the exhaust speed relative to the rocket
[itex]m_{\text{init}}[/itex] is the initial (pre-burn) mass of the rocket
[itex]m_{\text{final}}[/itex] is the final (post-burn) mass of the rocket
[itex]\ln(x)[/itex] is the natural logarithm function.

The problem gives [itex]v_{\text{exhaust}}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta v[/itex] and simply asks for the mass ratio [itex]{m_{\text{init}}}/{m_{\text{final}}}[/itex]. Can you proceed with this?
 
Let me do the math really quickly and i'll show you what I got.