1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass-Spring Oscillation question

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    I tried to work out this problem a few different ways but I never get the right answer.

A block hangs in equilibrium from a vertical spring. When a second identical block is added, the original block sags by 8.00 cm

What is the oscillation frequency of the two-block system?

What I've done so far:

Attempt 1:

(Fnet)y=-ky
    2mg=-ky
    m=((-ky)/(2g))

Then using T=2pi times sqaure root[m/k]

puting in my m as what I found in terms of k, y, and g. The K's cancel and I am left with things I know and then calculate to find my T it turns out to be 0.40 seconds

and then I finish off my problem with freqency= 1/period and get 2.5 Hz

But this is incorrect.

I probably made a wrong assumption but I can't put my finger on it. I hope someone can put me on the right track.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What you want to do is find the spring constant in terms of m, y, & g. Assuming that y is the additional displacement from equilibrium, then:
    mg = ky (since one block is added)

What mass goes here? (The system has two blocks now.)

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    Thank you! That worked perfectly. I understand where I made my mistake now too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?