Oscillations of load with spring after rod is suddenly stopped

• Thread starter alalalash_kachok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
alalalash_kachok
Homework Statement
The rod is rotating with constant angle velocity \omega, load what has weight m may slide on it. The load is held at certain distance by spring with stiffness k and startring length r_0.
Relevant Equations
Find depending r on t if stop the rotating of rod.
I understand that after stopping of rotating I should consider second Newton's law:
m d^2r/dt^2 = k(r-r_0)
And using the law of energy conservation I can propose that energy of circular motion I (\omega)^2/2, where I = mr^2 - moment of intertia will be converted into spring's oscillation. But I not understand what I can do with Newton's law, if there is a constant that disturbs me to consider this motion as oscillations and use the fact that square of oscillation frequency is k/m. Sorry for my bad English, I hope that you can understand this task

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
alalalash_kachok said:
Homework Statement: The rod is rotating with constant angle velocity \omega, load what has weight m may slide on it. The load is held at certain distance by spring with stiffness k and startring length r_0.
Relevant Equations: Find depending r on t if stop the rotating of rod.

I understand that after stopping of rotating I should consider second Newton's law:
m d^2r/dt^2 = k(r-r_0)
And using the law of energy conservation I can propose that energy of circular motion I (\omega)^2/2, where I = mr^2 - moment of intertia will be converted into spring's oscillation. But I not understand what I can do with Newton's law, if there is a constant that disturbs me to consider this motion as oscillations and use the fact that square of oscillation frequency is k/m. Sorry for my bad English, I hope that you can understand this task
I don’t understand how the rotational energy is relevant. If the rotation of the rod stops then that energy is immediately lost.
Perhaps I have not understood your description. Can you post the original wording in whatever language?

Sorry for my misleading, I agree with you. But I have remembered about that I can consider Newton's law for moment after stopping rotating: m $$\frac{d^2r}{dt^2} = k(r-r_0)$$. And try solve this equation, taking $$z = c*e^{i\omega t}$$. After that I get r as superposition of a general solution of the homogeneous equation and the partial non-uniform equation $$r = a \cdot \cos{\omega_0 t + \phi} + r_0$$, where \omega_0 = \sqrt{k/m}. Can I suppose that ##\phi## is 0 just after stopping rotating?

alalalash_kachok said:
Sorry for my misleading, I agree with you. But I have remembered about that I can consider Newton's law for moment after stopping rotating: m $$\frac{d^2r}{dt^2} = k(r-r_0)$$. And try solve this equation, taking $$z = c*e^{i\omega t}$$. After that I get r as superposition of a general solution of the homogeneous equation and the partial non-uniform equation $$r = a \cdot \cos{\omega_0 t + \phi} + r_0$$, where \omega_0 = \sqrt{k/m}. Can I suppose that ##\phi## is 0 just after stopping rotating?
You mean $$r = a \cdot \cos(\omega_0 t + \phi) + r_0$$. Curly braces, {}, have special meaning in LaTeX.
The value of ##\phi## depends on how you define t=0. If that is the instant the rod stops rotating then you need a value of ##\phi## for which ##t=0 ## gives ##r=r_0##.

haruspex said:
You mean $$r = a \cdot \cos(\omega_0 t + \phi) + r_0$$. Curly braces, {}, have special meaning in LaTeX.
The value of ##\phi## depends on how you define t=0. If that is the instant the rod stops rotating then you need a value of ##\phi## for which ##t=0 ## gives ##r=r_0##.
Okay, assume that t=0 is moment when the rotating rod is stopped. After that the load starts spring fluctuations, don't you think? Can I consider Newton's law: $$m (\omega)^2 r_1= k(r_1-r_0)$$ for the moment just before stopping and take from this starting value of r(t)? Then put it in equation r(t) as solution of the partial non-uniform equation

Last edited:
alalalash_kachok said:
Okay, assume that t=0 is moment when the rotating rod is stopped. After that the load starts spring fluctuations, don't you think? Can I consider Newton's law: $$m (\omega)^2 r_1= k(r_1-r_0)$$ for the moment just before stopping and take from this starting value of r(t)? Then put it in equation r(t) as solution of the partial non-uniform equation
Sounds right. Please post what you get.

1. What causes the oscillations of load with spring after the rod is suddenly stopped?

The oscillations are caused by the conservation of energy. When the rod is suddenly stopped, the kinetic energy of the load is transferred to the spring, causing it to stretch and store potential energy. This potential energy is then released as the spring oscillates back and forth.

2. How does the mass of the load affect the oscillations?

The mass of the load affects the amplitude of the oscillations. A heavier load will cause the spring to stretch more, resulting in larger oscillations. However, the period of oscillation (time taken for one complete cycle) remains constant regardless of the mass.

3. What is the role of the spring in these oscillations?

The spring acts as a restoring force, pulling the load back towards its equilibrium position as it oscillates. This allows the load to continue oscillating even after the initial force (sudden stop of the rod) is removed.

4. Can the oscillations be affected by the stiffness of the spring?

Yes, the stiffness of the spring, also known as its spring constant, affects the frequency of the oscillations. A stiffer spring will have a higher spring constant and therefore a higher frequency of oscillation, while a less stiff spring will have a lower frequency.

5. How does friction play a role in these oscillations?

Friction can dampen the oscillations by converting the energy of the system into heat. This results in a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations over time. However, in a frictionless system, the oscillations would continue indefinitely due to the conservation of energy.