Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass to Light Ratio for Dwarf Galaxies

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I'm working on a project on dwarf spheroidal galaxies. Is there a way to get a mass-to-light ratio knowing the distance to the galaxy, its size, and maybe some other parameters like the absolute magnitude or velocity dispersion?

In the end, I'm trying to figure out their masses using this information.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mass to light ratio is more conjecture than theory. I would not trust any conclusions.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3
    Alright I'll keep that in mind, thank you. Any advice on how to get mass from luminosity?

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a generalization based on mass - luminosity ratios derived from galactic surveys. It is approximately accurate.

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Chronos,

When i read papers like this one:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.0010
    It seems like a fairly careful measurement of the mass profiles of several dwarf galaxies, and of course the light output can be measured directly, so the conclusion that dwarf galaxies have mass/light ratios of 10's to 100's seems sound. Why do you think it is just conjecture?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook