1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masses and ratios of steller objects

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is really long, so I am going to summarize the information that I have for the problem. I have two stars with their radial velocities Star1= 5.4 and Star2 = 22.4. The time period between first contact and minimum light is .58 days, the length of primary minimum is 0.64 days, and the apparent bolometric magnitudes are: maximum = 5.4 primary minimum = 9.2 secondary minimum = 5.44 magnitudes. Assume circular orbit.

Find the individual ratio

What is an individual ratio? I just don't understand what it is asking for.

2. Relevant equations

not important for my question

3. The attempt at a solution

none, I don't understand the question. I understood when it asked for ratio of masses and individual masses, and the ratio of effective temperatures. I also have all the equations I will need.

Thanks, I hate it when the only part of an assignment that is too "hard" is trying to understand what it is asking

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    I apologize, I was informed that that was a typo on the HW sheet, and it was actually asking for the radii and not the ratio.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook