Masses and ratios of steller objects

• Thread starter SpaceTrekkie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratios
In summary, the problem involves two stars with radial velocities of Star1= 5.4 and Star2 = 22.4, a time period of .58 days between first contact and minimum light, a primary minimum length of 0.64 days, and apparent bolometric magnitudes of maximum = 5.4, primary minimum = 9.2, and secondary minimum = 5.44. The question initially asked for the individual ratio, but it was later clarified that it was actually asking for the radii of the stars.
SpaceTrekkie

Homework Statement

The question is really long, so I am going to summarize the information that I have for the problem. I have two stars with their radial velocities Star1= 5.4 and Star2 = 22.4. The time period between first contact and minimum light is .58 days, the length of primary minimum is 0.64 days, and the apparent bolometric magnitudes are: maximum = 5.4 primary minimum = 9.2 secondary minimum = 5.44 magnitudes. Assume circular orbit.

Find the individual ratio

What is an individual ratio? I just don't understand what it is asking for.

Homework Equations

not important for my question

The Attempt at a Solution

none, I don't understand the question. I understood when it asked for ratio of masses and individual masses, and the ratio of effective temperatures. I also have all the equations I will need.

Thanks, I hate it when the only part of an assignment that is too "hard" is trying to understand what it is asking

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize, I was informed that that was a typo on the HW sheet, and it was actually asking for the radii and not the ratio.

What is the difference between mass and ratio of steller objects?

Mass refers to the amount of matter in an object, while ratio refers to the relationship between two quantities. In the context of steller objects, mass usually refers to the overall size and density of the object, while ratio may refer to the proportions of different elements or characteristics within the object.

How do scientists determine the mass and ratio of steller objects?

Scientists use various observational and computational methods to determine the mass and ratio of steller objects. These methods may include measuring the object's gravitational pull, analyzing its spectral lines, or using mathematical models to estimate its composition.

Why is knowing the mass and ratio of steller objects important?

Knowing the mass and ratio of steller objects can provide important insights into their formation, evolution, and behavior. It can also help scientists better understand the physical laws and processes that govern these objects.

Can the mass and ratio of steller objects change over time?

Yes, the mass and ratio of steller objects can change over time due to various factors such as nuclear fusion, stellar winds, and interactions with other objects. These changes can have significant impacts on the steller object's lifespan and behavior.

How do steller objects with different masses and ratios affect their surroundings?

The mass and ratio of steller objects can greatly influence their surroundings. For example, massive and dense steller objects may have a stronger gravitational pull, causing nearby objects to orbit around them. Additionally, the ratio of elements within a steller object can determine the type of energy it emits, such as visible light, X-rays, or gamma rays, which can also impact its surroundings.