Quantitative observations of Pandora cluster

In summary: You have already found the mass of hot gas and the mass of stellar content, so you can combine those two to get the total mass of the cluster. Then, you can use the given information that dark matter should be >85% of the total mass to find the percentage of dark matter in the cluster.In summary, a group of astronomers made observations of the Pandora cluster of galaxies with a λmax of 0.0377nm and a bolometric apparent magnitude of 10.4. Using Hubble's constant and interstellar density, they found a redshift of 0.3 and a distance of 1286
rstein66

Homework Statement

Hey, if anyone could help with this question I am very stuck on (not homework) I would really appreciate it.
A group of astronomers make observations of the Pandora cluster of galaxies spanning 600 arcseconds in the sky. X-Ray astronomers found it to have a λmax of 0.0377nm. It has a bolometric apparent magnitude, m of 10.4. It has a mass to light ratio of 2. Radio astronomers found neutral hydrogen lines of 27.3cm. Adopt Hubble's constant, Ho of 70km/s/Mpc and interstellar density of 10^-27g/cm^3.

Questions:
1.Find redshift,z and distance,d to the cluster in pc.
2.Find radius of cluster, r in pc
3.Find mass of hot gas in the cluster, Mgas in solar units
4.Find Luminosity of stellar content, Lstars in solar units and its corresponding mass of stellar content in solar units.
5.Find total cluster mass and what percent is dark matter?

Homework Equations

>Do not use modified inverse square laws for brightness or sizes since this is a distant galaxy.
>Knowing from lectures and such dark matter should be >85% of total mass.
Many formulas can be used in this problem, but it states use basic formulae only; including:
M=rv^2/g | Vgas=140m/s(sqrt(T) | z=Δλ/λ | v=dHo | L/Lsun=100(4.75-M)/5 , etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

1. z is found with atomic hydrogen lines from radio guys, z=27.3cm-21cm/21cm = 0.3
d is found with hubble's law, v=dHo, d=v/Ho where v=cz in km/s.
d is found to be 1286Mpc

2.I'm not 100% sure I did this part correct,
R=sinθ*d
θ=600"/60 = 10arcmins .. divide by 60 again and get 0.1667degrees,
R=sin(0.1667)*1286e6 = 3740817pc
I am not sure if this is the correct radius value, I have seen other formulas used that say this may be diameter, looking for clarification.

3. Mgas=R(Vgas)^2/G.
>Have radius, R and G is a constant and Vgas can be found with formula above, knowing temperature from x-ray astronomers wavelength calculations (T=2.9e6nm/λ[nm])
... skipping the math, Mgas=6.52e14Msun

4.L/Lsun=100^(4.75-M)/5
where M(abs magnitude)=m+5-5logd, have distance and m, bolometric apparent magnitude.. M is equal to ~-30. L is therefore roughly 9.1e13Lsun I believe.

Knowing this and the mass-light ratio I believe I am to do this: (M/L) =2= (M/9.1e13Lsun), thus M=2(9.1e13)=1.82e14Msuns(stellar content)

5.I don't understand why this part is asked because I have already found the mass of hot gas which I thought was equal to it's total mass, just really confused here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

I think 1., 3. and 4. are OK.

2. Indeed you got the diameter of the cluster because θ must be divided by two if you want to get the radius (try to imagine the triangle).

5. "5.Find total cluster mass and what percent is dark matter?"

1. What is the Pandora cluster?

The Pandora cluster is a massive group of galaxies located in the constellation of Coma Berenices. It is known as a galaxy cluster because it contains hundreds of galaxies held together by gravity.

2. How is the Pandora cluster observed?

The Pandora cluster is primarily observed using telescopes that can detect X-rays, such as the Chandra X-ray Observatory. These X-rays are emitted from the hot gas that fills the space between the galaxies in the cluster.

3. What can we learn from quantitative observations of the Pandora cluster?

Quantitative observations of the Pandora cluster can tell us about the distribution of galaxies and hot gas in the cluster, as well as the overall mass and structure of the cluster. This can help us understand how galaxy clusters form and evolve.

4. How are quantitative observations of the Pandora cluster made?

Quantitative observations of the Pandora cluster are made using various instruments and techniques. For example, X-ray telescopes can measure the temperature and density of the hot gas in the cluster, while optical telescopes can measure the positions and velocities of the galaxies.

5. What are some recent findings from quantitative observations of the Pandora cluster?

Recent quantitative observations of the Pandora cluster have revealed the presence of a supermassive black hole at its center, as well as evidence of interactions between galaxies within the cluster. These observations have also helped to refine our understanding of how galaxy clusters form and evolve.