Massive blast in Beirut, Lebanon
- Thread starter davenn
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 4K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,954
- 777
The Governor says that 300,000 have lost their homes. What a tragedy!
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
good picture of the storage.Astronuc said:'ve seen one undated picture that shows 1000 kg bags stored haphazardly, two-bags high and apparently side-by-side. It was a disaster waiting to happen.
I didn't know if the storage was in bulk bins, the bulk bags, so I went with the 50 pound consumer bags.
That stuff must have been caked up and hard as a rock after all this time.
diogenesNY
- 230
- 259
I had heard the BBC radio reports of this in the morning, and seen a few photos later in the day, but the posted video was the first I had seen of video coverage.
Good God! That was absolutely apocalyptic! I am wondering if/how much some of those videographers were injured... Not even sure what intelligent comment I can offer other than abject shock. I could make a rambling rant about the plight of merchant seafarers working in sub-human conditions, and how this can allow situations like this to develop... but it seems kinda academic under the current circumstances.
Holy crap! um... I'm kind of at a loss.
diogenesNY
Good God! That was absolutely apocalyptic! I am wondering if/how much some of those videographers were injured... Not even sure what intelligent comment I can offer other than abject shock. I could make a rambling rant about the plight of merchant seafarers working in sub-human conditions, and how this can allow situations like this to develop... but it seems kinda academic under the current circumstances.
Holy crap! um... I'm kind of at a loss.
diogenesNY
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,699
- 9,111
I am astonished, and relieved, that the death toll is only a hundred and change (even if the collateral damage is huge). That explosion could have killed thousands.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,716
- 7,814
Some good graphics in this NY Times article.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/09/world/middleeast/beirut-explosion.html
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/09/world/middleeast/beirut-explosion.html
256bits
Gold Member
- 4,284
- 2,297
to add insult to injury, another fire at the port a month after the blast.
Quote
Large fire erupts in Beirut port area, a month after massive blast | CBC News
Michel Najjar, public works minister in the outgoing government, which resigned in the wake of the blast, told Lebanon's MTV the fire had been brought under control, saying initial indications suggested the blaze was sparked by repair work at the port.
...
Carmen Geha, an activist and associate professor at the American University of Beirut, said the fire was further proof of mismanagement by a ruling elite, who have dragged the nation into crisis after years of corruption and poor governance.
"It's a gross crime, gross negligence and gross arrogance," she said. "You can't trust them to manage anything."
UNQUOTE
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/large-fire-erupts-in-beirut-port-1.5718447
Quote
Large fire erupts in Beirut port area, a month after massive blast | CBC News
Michel Najjar, public works minister in the outgoing government, which resigned in the wake of the blast, told Lebanon's MTV the fire had been brought under control, saying initial indications suggested the blaze was sparked by repair work at the port.
...
Carmen Geha, an activist and associate professor at the American University of Beirut, said the fire was further proof of mismanagement by a ruling elite, who have dragged the nation into crisis after years of corruption and poor governance.
"It's a gross crime, gross negligence and gross arrogance," she said. "You can't trust them to manage anything."
UNQUOTE
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/large-fire-erupts-in-beirut-port-1.5718447
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
It's still on all four wheels. Amazing.berkeman said:Wow. What two things do you notice about the vehicle parked in front of this damaged building?
https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/lebanon-beirut-explosion-live-updates-dle-intl/index.html
View attachment 267294
The side is dented in, and it looks like the side airbag curtains have gone off. Wow.
Similar threads
- ShadowKraz
- · Replies 10 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 10
- Kekkuli
- · Replies 4 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 4
- Astronuc
- · Replies 4 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 4
- naushaan
- · Replies 4 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 4
- macmic853
- · Replies 2 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 2
Undergrad
Formation of super-massive black holes
- Green dwarf
- · Replies 2 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 2
- lavinia
- · Replies 27 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 27
- JollyOlly
- · Replies 6 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 6
- wolram
- · Replies 16 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 16
- MarcL
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1