Massless pulley and acceleration

In summary, the situation involves two blocks of masses m1 and m2 connected by a massless string passing over two pulleys, where one of the pulleys is moveable and has no mass. The question is what would happen to the acceleration of the blocks if the moveable pulley suddenly becomes massless. The answer is that the accelerations of the blocks are not the same, as the net force on the massless pulley must be zero, resulting in infinite acceleration. However, this does not affect the accelerations of the blocks, as there are other factors to consider such as how the pulley is attached to the blocks.
iloveannaw

Homework Statement

In the following situation (see attachment) both pulleys and the string have zero mass. If [tex] m_{2} > m_{1} [/tex] we would expect a net force and therefore an acceleration in the direction of the net force. But if pulley 2, which is moveable, has no mass the sum of the forces acting on it is zero. How does this affect the acceleration of the blocks (which I would expect to have same acceleration - ideal string etc.)?

Homework Equations

Newton's II

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 610
Physics news on Phys.org
a moveable pulley 2 only means that it move along the string, without a change in its x coordinate. i.e. meaning it will only move up or down depending whether m1 > or < m2.

what is your workings?

hi thanks, i realize it will only move vertically - my question is since both blocks should have the same acceleration, pulley 2 will also have that acceleration (whatever it may be) but since no net force can act on that pulley how can it have an acceleration?

does this mean that the acceleration is zero?

thanks

correct me if I am wrong but massless objects are an ill-defined concept to begin with. Considering F = ma
a= F/0 or infinity in other words.

I wouldn't say it's 0 acceleration.

wouldn't that mean the tension in the string was also infinite? btw the actual question was to find tensions T_1 and T_2.

No. Tension is a force, do not confuse it with resultant force!
In a way, it is true that the acceleration of the string is infinity as well.

You should be considering either of the mass blocks as a FBD

are you sure? if we look at m_1: it must have the same acceleration as m_2 and pulley_2.

If acceleration of pulley_2 was infinite then the acceleration of m_1 would also be inf. and so would the force acting on it (in other words the tension), since m_1 != 0. Since we are dealing with a massless string the tension is constant throughout. This means the tension at any part of the string would be infinite.

The more mass an object has, the slower the acceleration when subjected to the same force.
No doubt the pulley will experience infinite acceleration, but do not simply equate this to be the same as m1's acceleration.
There are many other factors to consider such as how the pulley is attached to the block? If it is rigidly attached, then there would be a retarding force by m2 on the pulley, during the fall, if the acceleration of the pulley is faster than that of the block, but then again, the faster acceleration of the pulley does not affect m2's acceleration either because it's massless to start with rememeber?

Don't confuse yourself, work it out like i said. consider a fbd on m1 and m2.

sorry had to go to a lecture,

yeah, i should have said that the very first thing i did was to draw free body diagrams and try to work out the sum of the forces in the relevant directions for the bodies involved.

thanks for your help so far but I would prefer a straight answer to my original question. I don't know how the pulley is attached to the block, I imagine it is a chain or another piece of string.

I don't think there's any big deal about how the objects are connected, it's a simple problem. I do have a problem with your diagram, however; to me it seems that [tex]m_1[/tex] is attached directly to the massless string, whereas [tex]m_2[/tex] is not even connected to the string, only to the pulley(in turn - connected to the string).

Isn't the question simply asking what would happen if [tex]m_2[/tex] were to suddenly become massless?

If so;
1. What happens to each block if [tex]m_2 > m_1[/tex] (as stated)?

2. What happens when [tex]m_2 < m_1[/tex]

iloveannaw said:
How does this affect the acceleration of the blocks (which I would expect to have same acceleration - ideal string etc.)?

The accelerations of the blocks are not the same.
The net force F on the massless pulley (m=0) must be zero at arbitrary acceleration as F=ma=0.

ehild

1. How does a massless pulley affect the acceleration of a system?

A massless pulley does not affect the acceleration of a system. This is because a massless pulley has no mass and therefore does not contribute to the overall forces acting on the system. The acceleration of a system is only affected by the net forces acting on it.

2. Can a massless pulley support any weight?

Yes, a massless pulley can support any weight as long as the tension in the rope is sufficient to counteract the weight of the object. This is because a massless pulley does not have any weight or mass that would limit its ability to support a load.

3. What is the purpose of using a massless pulley in a system?

The purpose of using a massless pulley in a system is to change the direction of the force being applied. This can be useful in situations where the force needs to be redirected or when using multiple pulleys to create a mechanical advantage.

4. How does the acceleration of a system change when using a massless pulley?

The acceleration of a system remains the same when using a massless pulley. This is because the massless pulley does not contribute any additional forces to the system, so the overall acceleration is still determined by the net forces acting on the system.

5. Is it possible for a massless pulley to have friction?

No, a massless pulley cannot have friction. Friction is a force that occurs between two surfaces with different materials and masses. Since a massless pulley has no mass, it cannot create or experience friction.