Master in theoretical/mathematical physics. Guidance.

  • #1

Quantum Student


I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what master’s degree or which specific master courses I should take.

I am a physics student and I am going to finish my bachelor in physics next year. I plan to do a master in theoretical physics or in mathematical physics. However I am not quite sure which specific master degree or which specific master courses I should choose.

What I enjoyed most in my studies were the lectures on theoretical physics and on math. My two favorite subjects were complex analysis and quantum mechanics, so I would like to do a master’s degree that is related to these two subjects.

I like to have some math lectures along my studies, although I often don’t enjoy the proofs given by the mathematicians and prefer the ones done by physicists in theoretical physics. This is also why the courses of mathematical methods of physics, which basically was math without proofs or with only a few proofs, were among my favorite.

Based on this, does anyone have some suggestions which master degree or which master courses suit best to me and also if I should rather go with theoretical physics or with mathematical physics.

Finally, I want to know if the following subjects all go into one direction of studies (which one?) or how they are best combined in a master degree: Particle physics, general relativity, quantum field theory, string theory, quantum gravity, quantum computing. However, although I feel like these 6 listed subjects seem to be interesting, I have to say that I have never had any lectures on these and thus do not know very much about their contents. Additionally, there may be other subjects which I have never had, but which I might find very interesting if I would have had some lectures about it. So rather base your suggestions upon the information given at the top than on the final remark I gave at the bottom.

I hope that anyone has some good advice for me.
Thank you.

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Do you not have an academic advisor that you can ask this very question to?

What you should take and what courses are necessary can depend on where you go to school. Different schools have different requirements, especially when you have a less well-defined goals such as the one you described. Only a faculty member that either knows you and your ability, or knows the required curriculum at a particular school can tell you what you should be taking or make recommendations.


Suggested for: Master in theoretical/mathematical physics. Guidance.