Master thesis acknowledgments page

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on what is appropriate to include in an acknowledgment page. They plan to thank their school, advisor, fellow grad students, and immediate family, but also want to thank a former professor and coworker who have helped them academically and technically before starting their grad school program. They are unsure if it is appropriate to include these individuals and do not want to upset their advisor. The response advises the individual to thank those who they feel deserve it, rather than those they feel others expect them to thank. It is also mentioned that anything can be included in the acknowledgment section, as long as it is within boundaries.
DragonPetter
I have checked google and I get different opinions on what is appropriate to put in an acknowledgment page.

Basically, I thank my school, my advisor, a couple fellow grad students, and then my immediate family.

But, I also include two sentences to thank a former professor and a former coworker who both have helped me a lot academically and technically before I started my grad school program, but they had nothing to do with my work in grad school.

Is this appropriate to include the former professor and coworker in my thanks? I think I owe them a lot, but I know I can't thank everyone under the sun and I don't want to upset my advisor if I'm thanking others who he doesn't even know or is aware of.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank those who you want to thank, not those who you think others expect you to thank.

You are free to write anything (within boundaries) in the acknowledgment section. I have even written lyrics from songs in my Master's acknowledgments :tongue:

1. What is a Master thesis acknowledgments page?

A Master thesis acknowledgments page is a section in a Master's thesis that typically comes after the main body of the thesis and before the references. It is a brief section where the author acknowledges and expresses gratitude to the individuals or organizations who have contributed to the completion of the thesis.

2. Who should be included in the acknowledgments page?

The acknowledgments page should include anyone who has provided significant support, guidance, or assistance in the research and writing process. This may include advisors, professors, colleagues, family members, friends, or institutions that have provided funding or resources.

3. How long should the acknowledgments page be?

The acknowledgments page is typically one to two pages long. However, the length may vary depending on the number of people or organizations the author wants to acknowledge.

4. Is it necessary to include an acknowledgments page in a Master thesis?

Including an acknowledgments page in a Master thesis is not mandatory, but it is considered a common practice and a courteous way to acknowledge the contributions of others. It also adds a personal touch to the thesis and shows gratitude to those who have supported the author.

5. Can I mention specific individuals or organizations in the acknowledgments page?

Yes, it is appropriate to mention specific individuals or organizations in the acknowledgments page. However, it is important to ensure that the acknowledgments are sincere and do not offend anyone. It is also recommended to seek permission from individuals before mentioning them in the acknowledgments page.