Mastering Factoring Polynomials: Solving Challenging Equations with Confidence

In summary, the speaker has built up confidence in solving problems involving factoring polynomials, but encountered difficulty with two specific problems. They request assistance in solving the problems and provide an example of using the Rational Root Theorem and synthetic division to factor one of the expressions.
NotaMathPerson
After successfully solving tons of problems about factoring polynomials I've buit up quite a confidence in myself. But it did not last long when I stumbled upon these problems

Factor
$3x^3-13x^2+23x-21$
$ 6x^3-2x^2-13x-6$

None of the techniques I knew were able to help me solve these problems. Kindly assist me in this matter. Thanks much!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, NotaMathPerson! (Wave)

Let's walk through the first expression, and then you can try the second. Let's let:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=3x^3-13x^2+23x-21\)

Using the Rational Root Theorem, by trial and error, we find:

\(\displaystyle f\left(\frac{7}{3}\right)=0\)

So, using synthetic division, we find:

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c|rr}& 3 & -13 & 23 & -21 \\ \frac{7}{3} & & 7 & -14 & 21 \\ \hline & 3 & -6 & 9 & 0 \end{array}\)

So, we may now state:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=3x^3-13x^2+23x-21=\left(x-\frac{7}{3}\right)\left(3x^2-6x+9\right)=(3x-7)\left(x^2-2x+3\right)\)

Related to Mastering Factoring Polynomials: Solving Challenging Equations with Confidence

1. What is resolution into factors?

Resolution into factors is a process in mathematics where a number is expressed as the product of smaller numbers. These smaller numbers are called factors and are multiplied together to get the original number.

2. How do you find the factors of a number?

To find the factors of a number, you can list out all the whole numbers that divide evenly into the original number. For example, the factors of 12 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12.

3. Why is resolution into factors important?

Resolution into factors is important because it helps us understand the structure of numbers and their relationships with each other. It also allows us to simplify complex numbers and solve equations more easily.

4. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

Prime numbers are numbers that have exactly two factors, 1 and itself. Examples of prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, and 11. Composite numbers, on the other hand, have more than two factors. For example, 12 is a composite number because it has factors 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12.

5. How can we use resolution into factors in real-life situations?

Resolution into factors can be used in real-life situations such as finding the best way to divide a group of items, determining the common denominators in fractions, and factoring large numbers in cryptography. It can also be used in finance to calculate interest rates and in science to solve problems involving measurements and units.