Problems about magnetic field, electromotive force, induced current

In summary, two exercises were discussed related to magnetic field and electromotive force. For the first problem, the task is to find the voltage induced to the coil using Faraday's Law and Ohm's Law, and equating the two to find the initial value of the magnetic field. For the second problem, the voltage is found using Faraday's Law and then set equal to zero to find the time instant at which the electromotive force is zero. By setting the time to 5 seconds, the voltage and current can be calculated using Ohm's Law.
Dominic90
Homework Statement
- The pick up (magnet with coil wound around) of an electric guitar is such that in coil, formed by 10 circular turns with a radius of 4 cm and whose surfaces are perpendicular to the lines of force of the magnetic field, an induced current of 2 x 10^(-4) A arises when the field average magnetic on the surface of the coil passes from an unknown value B1 to a value of 2.3 T in 0.05 s. Determine the initial magnetic field knowing that the coil has a resistance of 2000 Ω and neglecting Lenz's law.

- Consider an area of 3.96m^2; it is immersed in a uniform magnetic field B0 = 0.9 T crossed perpendicularly by the lines of B. At a certain instant the intensity of the field begins to vary over time according to the law:

𝐵 (𝑡) = 𝐵0 (0.4𝑡^2 - 𝑙𝑛𝑡). To determine:

▪ the instant in which the electromotive force is zero.

▪ The absolute value of the electromotive force induced in the loop at the instant t = 5 s and of the induced current knowing that the loop resistance is 10 Ω.
Relevant Equations
Faraday's Law
Hi, I was practicing some problems on the magnetic field and the electromotive force, when I got stuck on these two exercises. Could you help me figure out how to proceed?

In the first problem, I tried to find the magnetic field flux by multiplying the induced current for ∆t and R. Should I now divide this result by the number N of turns?

In the second exercise, I started setting the flux equal to 0, then I'm at an impasse

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem your first task will be to find the voltage induced to the coil with two ways:
  1. According to Faraday's Law
  2. According to Ohm's law
Then equate the two and you ll be able to find what the problem asks for cause if all go well you ll have one equation with one unknown=the initial value of magnetic field.

For the second problem again you have to find the voltage (or electromotive force) according to Faraday's law. You know ##B(t)## and the area so you will be able to calculate the EMF $$\mathcal{E}(t)=-\frac{d\Phi}{dt}=-3.96\frac{dB(t)}{dt}$$. Then
  1. Set this expression to zero and you ll have one equation with one unknown the time instant t at which the EMF is zero
  2. Set in this expression the time t=5sec and you ll be able to find the ##\mathcal{E}(5)## and by using Ohm's law the current at time t=5sec.

Likes Dominic90

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and is represented by lines of force that point from the north pole to the south pole of a magnet.

2. How is an electromotive force (EMF) created?

An EMF is created when there is a change in the magnetic flux passing through a closed loop. This change induces an electric field, which causes a current to flow in the loop.

3. What is the difference between induced current and direct current?

Induced current is created by a changing magnetic field, while direct current is created by a constant flow of electric charges. Induced current only flows while there is a changing magnetic field, whereas direct current can flow continuously.

4. How can the direction of an induced current be determined?

The direction of an induced current can be determined using Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that created it.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields and induced current?

Magnetic fields and induced current have numerous applications, including generators, electric motors, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in everyday items such as speakers, credit cards, and compasses.