1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mastering physics: The Electric Field at a Point Due to Two Point Charges

1. Mar 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point charge q1:-4.00 nC is at the point x=0.600 meters, y=0.800 meters, and a second point charge q2:+6.00 nC is at the point x=600 meters, y=0 .

a) Calculate the magnitude of the net electric field at the origin due to these two point charges.
    Express your answer in newtons per coulomb to three significant figures.

b) What is the direction, relative to the negative x axis, of the net electric field at the origin due to these two point charges.
    Express your answer in degrees to three significant figures.

[tex]\phi[/tex]= _________ (up from the negative x axis)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried calculating E1 and E2 and added them both to get E but my answers are wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is the correct way, as long as you take into account the fact that the electric field has a direction as well.

Can you show us how you calculated, for example, E1?

4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    i used the equation E=K|q|/r^2. i used these numbers K= 8.988x10^9 q= 4.00x 10^-9 nC
    r= square root of: (0.600)^2 + (0.800)^2
    and i got E1= 35.95

and for the angle part i have no idea how to do it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook