1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mastering physics: electric field of point charges

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two point charges are placed on the x axis. The first charge, q1= 8.00 , is placed a distance 16.0m from the origin along the positive x axis; the second charge, q2= 6.00 , is placed a distance 9.00m from the origin along the negative x axis.

1011307.jpg

Calculate the electric field at point A, located at coordinates (0m , 12.0 m).
    Give the x and y components of the electric field as an ordered pair. Express your answer in newtons per coulomb to three significant figures.

EAx, EAy=________________________ N/C

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2
    can you please show your attempt of solution so we can help!

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    i don't know which equations to use

5. Mar 8, 2010 #4
    E = kq/r^2
    Where E is the electric field, k is a constant = 9x10^9, r is the distance from the charge to the point where you want to find the electric field..

Find the electric field produced from q1 at point A , then find the electric field from q2 at point A .. Add them together to get the total electric field at that point ..

Note: the electric field is a vector, when you add you should use vector addition..

I hope it is clear enough for you start solving the question..

6. Feb 2, 2011 #5
    For these types of problems could someone please explain how you find which of the components x or y cancel. Also how can you tell if E_1 and E_2 are negative or positive? I am pretty sure i found E_1 and E_2 i just don't understand how you can tell to add both together or subtract one from the other.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook