Masters after a degree in Physics

In summary: I want to see how robots are built and tinker with them. I know that's kinda selfish, but it's just how I am.I completely understand where you're coming from. It definitely sounds like you have a passion for robotics and would love to learn more about it.
Egoist
This would be my debut here, so no idea if I'm posting in the wrong neighborhood.

Anyway, here's my story: I've been a tinkerer ever since - I would butcher appliances up and keep those magnets/coil guts, I fixed some toys too. I enjoyed building things. Electronics and Mechatronics/Robotics currently fascinates me. :!)

So now, here I am with just a few more semesters before graduating. I'm taking up B.S. in Applied physics in a local university. Since there's no Mech Eng available here, I took up a Physics degree instead - Major in Instrumentation (they do no robots in EE). My upperclassmen did theses like quadcopter, telescopes, basic drones, etc. so I think I'm on the right path.

I plan to enter grad school after, so can you guys recommend some Master's degree I could take? To give you an idea, look for Grant Imahara. I like what he does - I mean he builds robots and stuffs, he do machines and tinkering. I want a job about these things. Any MS degree out there to make me fit enough to do what Grant does? These Instrumentation courses of mine won't suffice.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Egoist said:
This would be my debut here, so no idea if I'm posting in the wrong neighborhood.

Anyway, here's my story: I've been a tinkerer ever since - I would butcher appliances up and keep those magnets/coil guts, I fixed some toys too. I enjoyed building things. Electronics and Mechatronics/Robotics currently fascinates me. :!)

So now, here I am with just a few more semesters before graduating. I'm taking up B.S. in Applied physics in a local university. Since there's no Mech Eng available here, I took up a Physics degree instead - Major in Instrumentation (they do no robots in EE). My upperclassmen did theses like quadcopter, telescopes, basic drones, etc. so I think I'm on the right path.

I plan to enter grad school after, so can you guys recommend some Master's degree I could take? To give you an idea, look for Grant Imahara. I like what he does - I mean he builds robots and stuffs, he do machines and tinkering. I want a job about these things. Any MS degree out there to make me fit enough to do what Grant does? These Instrumentation courses of mine won't suffice.

Thank you.

I know who Grant Imahara is (I'm a fan of Mythbusters). From what I've read, he has a BS in EE, so for someone like yourself, perhaps a MS in EE may lead to what you're looking for?

I only have a slight idea what is tackled in EE, but as mentioned, the EE people here don't work on robotics (which is the field I want). I don't know if BS/MS EE in other colleges engages in Robotics. But since I'm in the 3rd world, I doubt that.

Egoist,

I don't know where specifically you are physically based, but to my knowledge, robotics is a research field that is shared between electrical and mechanical engineering, with each focusing on slightly different things. I used to work as a statistician for an engineering company specializing in robotics and the majority of engineers who worked there were either EE or ME.

I would think that if robotics is not covered in the undergraduate EE curriculum where you study, it could be covered in the graduate program, assuming you intend to pursue your graduate studies in your home country. If you intend on pursuing graduate studies in say, the US, Canada, Australia or any of the EU countries, I can pretty much guarantee that robotics will be covered in the masters electrical or mechanical engineering programs.

That's nice to hear...
And to be honest, I really prefer to do my graduate study in a foreign land.

What is a Masters after a degree in Physics?

A Masters after a degree in Physics is a graduate program that allows students to specialize and advance their knowledge in a specific area of physics. It typically takes 2-3 years to complete and involves coursework, research, and a thesis or project.

What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters after a degree in Physics?

There are several benefits to pursuing a Masters after a degree in Physics. It can lead to better job opportunities, higher salaries, and specialized knowledge in a specific field of physics. It also prepares students for further studies, such as a PhD, and can lead to career advancement in research, academia, or industry.

What are some common areas of specialization in a Masters after a degree in Physics?

Some common areas of specialization in a Masters after a degree in Physics include astrophysics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, biophysics, and engineering physics. However, there are many other subfields and interdisciplinary options available depending on the university and program.

Do I need to have a specific undergraduate degree to pursue a Masters in Physics?

While a degree in Physics is typically preferred, it is not always a requirement for a Masters in Physics. Some programs may accept students with a degree in a related field, such as mathematics or engineering, as long as they have completed certain prerequisite courses. It is best to check with individual universities for their specific requirements.

What can I do with a Masters in Physics?

A Masters in Physics can lead to various career paths, such as research and development in government or private institutions, teaching at the college level, or working in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, or renewable energy. It can also serve as a stepping stone to a PhD program for those interested in pursuing a career in academia or research.