1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters degree at same university

1. Aug 21, 2014 #1
    I know that it is generally a bad idea to do all of your education (bachelors to PhD) at the same institution, but what about getting your bachelors and masters at the same university, then getting your PhD somewhere else? I'm in a position where I'll be graduating after the fall semester so I would have nothing to do during the following spring semester until I go to grad school that next fall.

The reason I ask is because I have a pretty good job here at my current university, plus would like the extra classes in a masters program to further raise my gpa and better my chances of a good university to obtain my PhD.

So is getting a bachelors and masters at the same university looked bad upon or is it just receiving a PhD at the same university that isn't wise?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know why that would be the case. I have heard this a lot, mainly from americans. But here it is quite common to do your PhD at the same institution as your bachelors and masters. It really poses no problems at all.

4. Aug 21, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Myth: It is a bad idea to complete all of your education at the same institution.
    Truth: There are advantages to obtaining your PhD at a different institutions.

Explanation:
    Just because there are advantages to one possibility, does not mean they necessarily outweigh the advantages of other possibilities. Going to different schools exposes one to different teaching styles, different resources, different points of view, and expands one's academic and social networks. So, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL it is advisable to go elsewhere.

But all things are not always equal. As a student you have to factor in costs and opportunities. A good job and a familiar atmosphere that you are confident you will excel in are two strong reasons to consider staying.

5. Sep 8, 2015 #4
    Hi, I'm in a similar boat as I would very much like to pursue a PhD at the same university I am at now (Imperial) as the department of condensed matter physics is really active and I wouldnt have to spend much time organizing the programme beforehand or adjusting to a new university at the start. Also, I'm intending to stay in the UK and there arent any other universities I want to go to. Is this viewpoint of going to the same university being frowned upon purely American or is this the same in the UK too?

6. Sep 8, 2015 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

I don't recall having heard any UK academic express this sentiment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook