Masters degree at same university

In summary, it is generally advised to obtain your PhD at a different institution than your bachelors and masters, as it offers advantages such as exposure to different teaching styles and expanding academic networks. However, there may be valid reasons for staying at the same university, such as a good job or a strong department in your field. This viewpoint is not necessarily frowned upon in the UK.
jaydnul
I know that it is generally a bad idea to do all of your education (bachelors to PhD) at the same institution, but what about getting your bachelors and masters at the same university, then getting your PhD somewhere else? I'm in a position where I'll be graduating after the fall semester so I would have nothing to do during the following spring semester until I go to grad school that next fall.

The reason I ask is because I have a pretty good job here at my current university, plus would like the extra classes in a masters program to further raise my gpa and better my chances of a good university to obtain my PhD.

So is getting a bachelors and masters at the same university looked bad upon or is it just receiving a PhD at the same university that isn't wise?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jd0g33 said:
I know that it is generally a bad idea to do all of your education (bachelors to PhD) at the same institution

I don't know why that would be the case. I have heard this a lot, mainly from americans. But here it is quite common to do your PhD at the same institution as your bachelors and masters. It really poses no problems at all.

Myth: It is a bad idea to complete all of your education at the same institution.
Truth: There are advantages to obtaining your PhD at a different institutions.

Explanation:
Just because there are advantages to one possibility, does not mean they necessarily outweigh the advantages of other possibilities. Going to different schools exposes one to different teaching styles, different resources, different points of view, and expands one's academic and social networks. So, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL it is advisable to go elsewhere.

But all things are not always equal. As a student you have to factor in costs and opportunities. A good job and a familiar atmosphere that you are confident you will excel in are two strong reasons to consider staying.

Hi, I'm in a similar boat as I would very much like to pursue a PhD at the same university I am at now (Imperial) as the department of condensed matter physics is really active and I wouldn't have to spend much time organizing the programme beforehand or adjusting to a new university at the start. Also, I'm intending to stay in the UK and there arent any other universities I want to go to. Is this viewpoint of going to the same university being frowned upon purely American or is this the same in the UK too?

Teek said:
Is this viewpoint of going to the same university being frowned upon purely American or is this the same in the UK too?

I don't recall having heard any UK academic express this sentiment.

What is a Masters degree at the same university?

A Masters degree at the same university refers to a graduate-level academic program that is completed at the same institution where you earned your undergraduate degree.

What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters degree at the same university?

Some potential benefits of pursuing a Masters degree at the same university include familiarity with the campus and resources, potential for smoother transition into graduate-level coursework, and potential for stronger relationships with faculty and peers.

Do I need to have earned my undergraduate degree from the same university in order to pursue a Masters degree at the same university?

No, it is not necessary to have earned your undergraduate degree from the same university in order to pursue a Masters degree at the same university. However, it may be advantageous to do so for the reasons mentioned above.

Can I transfer credits from my undergraduate degree to a Masters degree at the same university?

Each university sets its own policies on credit transfer, so it is important to check with the specific institution. In some cases, credits may be transferred, but there may be limitations on the number of credits that can be applied towards a Masters degree.

Is it more difficult to be accepted into a Masters program at the same university compared to other universities?

The acceptance process varies for each university and program, so there is no definitive answer. However, some institutions may give preference to students who have completed their undergraduate degree at the same university.