Master's degree without ABET undergrad

In summary, the disadvantage to having a non-ABET accredited engineering degree is that it may be difficult to find a job after you graduate. However, if you want to maximize your options, going for an ABET accredited undergraduate degree may be the best option.
rudy
Hi all,

I'm currently applying to a master's program in engineering. The program seems to be great except for one caveat - it's not ABET accredited. Nor do I think are any master's programs (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

This isn't a problem for most applicants who have an ABET undergrad degree, but I have a liberal arts degree. This program accepts non-engineering undergrad degrees and spends the first year or two "catching up". (It's the LEAP program at Boston University if any are wondering.)

How much of a disadvantage is this to me once I am in the job market? Any disadvantage seems to be make or break these days, and I've even noticed some internships require enrollment in an ABET program.

Is it worth it to get a second undergrad degree in order to get this cert?

Thanks

Likes dsaun777
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a tough call, and it depends to a great extent on how employable you think your MS degree will be. If it is a program with a proven high placement rate, maybe it is OK. If not, you may be setting yourself up for a disappointment down the road.

I assume it largely depends on which field I am going into as well, but I hate to close any doors on myself. On the other hand I also hate to go through undergrad again when this program exists specifically to avoid that.

If you want to maximize your options, go for the ABET accredited undergraduate engineering degree. This will remove all questions about the accreditation status of your engineering degree. It will, in all likelihood, enable you to learn more in the graduate program due to having a more complete background. Of course, there is the downside, more time and more effort.

I think we could say that by trying to short-circuit the process, you are already closing some doors on yourself.

I'll have to look into options for second undergrad degrees. Maybe there is one which will let me apply some credits from my previous degree (though I kind of doubt it). Forcing myself to sit through all those gen-eds again will be a struggle. Thanks for your input.

In all likelihood, you will be able to apply almost all of your general education credits. I would imagine that your 2nd undergrad degree would be almost all technical, and as a result, extremely intense.

That would be ideal, I've only checked out one program so far (also at B.U.) and they said they do not count any previous credits towards a second undergrad degree. I hope you are right and other universities are different. I'll let you know what I find after some digging tomorrow.

Almost all undergraduate programs in the US let you transfer 60 (4 semesters worth ie 2 years) credits or so into their school for any program. Generally that is your first two years of undergrad or electives. So your prospective college isn't doing you any more favors than any other school would.
Most of the Masters Programs have the same undergraduate programs that are ABET accredited and don't bother to accredit their higher level offerings.
As far as ABET accreditation is concerned, the only real advantage is if you plan to pursue a PE (Professional Engineering license). Then ABET accreditation would come into play. And most states would waive that requirement if you have a Masters in an Engineering discipline (maybe not for a general Masters of Engineering non-discipline degree). I say most, because I know there are some states that will not waiver on the ABET degree requirement.
Employers however almost always look at your highest education level and your work experience.

rudy said:
Hi all,

I'm currently applying to a master's program in engineering. The program seems to be great except for one caveat - it's not ABET accredited. Nor do I think are any master's programs (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

This isn't a problem for most applicants who have an ABET undergrad degree, but I have a liberal arts degree. This program accepts non-engineering undergrad degrees and spends the first year or two "catching up". (It's the LEAP program at Boston University if any are wondering.)

How much of a disadvantage is this to me once I am in the job market? Any disadvantage seems to be make or break these days, and I've even noticed some internships require enrollment in an ABET program.

Is it worth it to get a second undergrad degree in order to get this cert?

Thanks
I'm interested to see what option you took and how it turned out. If you are still around on this forum.

1. What is a Master's degree without ABET undergrad?

A Master's degree without ABET undergrad refers to a graduate degree in a field of engineering or technology that does not require an undergraduate degree from a program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).

2. Can I pursue a Master's degree without an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's degree without an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree. However, it may be more challenging to gain admission to a program without an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree, and the program may have specific requirements or prerequisites that must be met prior to admission.

3. Are there any disadvantages to having a Master's degree without an ABET undergrad?

Having a Master's degree without an ABET undergrad may limit your job opportunities in some industries, as many employers prefer candidates with ABET-accredited degrees. Additionally, it may be more difficult to obtain a professional engineering license without an ABET-accredited degree.

4. What are some alternatives to an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree for pursuing a Master's degree in engineering or technology?

Some alternatives to an ABET-accredited undergraduate degree for pursuing a Master's degree include completing a pre-engineering program, earning a related degree in a different field, or gaining relevant work experience in the industry.

5. Can I transfer from a non-ABET accredited undergraduate program to an ABET-accredited program for my Master's degree?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a non-ABET accredited undergraduate program to an ABET-accredited program for your Master's degree. However, the transfer process may be more complicated and may require additional coursework or exams to meet the ABET accreditation standards.