1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters in computational physics

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1
    Has anyone here done a masters in computational physics?

I am doing a double major in computer science and physics and it was always my intention to combine both fields for a career.

I am basically finished with my CS degree and I have a very valuable internship at a large IT company doing research in a CS field. My concern is that I do not have much to show for physics.

The internship will last until I graduate, after which I will likely get a full time job there, so there's no way to find a physics internship now.

What are my chances of getting into graduate school for a computational physics program without any actual experience in physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2
    Bump.

I'd really like to talk to someone who has done CP. :)

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Mar 12, 2013 #4
    My professor told me that computational physics involves much more physics than CS and that the computational part is easy to pick up, which is why a CS degree is not really required for the masters program.

But Astrophysics does require a lot of programming for modeling and simulation, so that would be a better field for me to go into if I want to stay in CS.

Astrophysics is my favorite area of physics so that's great news.

6. Mar 12, 2013 #5
    A lot of the programs are labeled as "computational science" and not computational physics. Anyone with personal experience with any such program (c. science or c. physics)? Especially a program not in Buffalo? (sorry to rip on Buffalo, ye from Buffalo)

7. Mar 14, 2013 #6
    You might be interested in looking at some scientific computing graduate programs or computational engineering and science programs. They seem to be closer to computational physics as in they don't require a lot of CS knowledge except for a few programming classes, but that's just what I can tell from looking at the course descriptions. I had a professor at the community college I attended that was in the PhD program at the local university and he said it's mostly made of CS and math majors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook