1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masters research project help =)

1. Apr 15, 2006 #1
    I am currently a masters student in a compsci program. I am thinking about doing my research thesis on a topic in computational physics. Is anyone involved in this area of research? I am looking for a decent topic for the masters level but havent found anything suitable.

John Adam

I asked in another part of this forum but I think this might be a better place to ask.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2
    Computational physics...thats exactly the same thing which excites me..

Quantum Computing is one area that requires heavy computations..

One area which i am familiar with which requires computations is Focussed ion Beam System..because you have to treat each ion discretely and analyse it..Apparently what i feel is that if you can apply computer knowledge to any field you consider if you have expertised in it..i am saying if you can juggle both balls well..

4. Apr 17, 2006 #3
    this might be a tough one for you. computational physics is physics first and comp sci second. so unless you have a firm background in physics finding a topic in comp phys might be impossible for you.

5. Apr 17, 2006 #4
    what is base of this statement..

6. Apr 17, 2006 #5
    I work with 3 computational physicists.

7. Apr 17, 2006 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is important to clarify that the standard program of "computational physics" is a PHYSICS DEGREE that emphasizes on computational methods. Thus, you are a physicist first and foremost. It is why a "computational physics" course is not normally offered by the computer science department but by the physics department. It is why computational physics professionals are under the wing of the a Physics society such as the APS rather than under a computer professional society.

Zz.

8. Apr 17, 2006 #7
    My background is Compscience/Mathematics but I have also taken
    Physics I and II, Modern Physics, Electromagetic Theory, Quantum Mechanics, Statics, Dynamics Thermodynamics and a graduate E&M COurse which I recieved a B in all my classes.

I would like to go into physics but since I am doing computer science I felt I could attemp some computational physics research and at the doctoral level taken enough physics classes to qualify for another masters degree while I work on my pHd for Computers.

I just do not know if I should go into physics or stay in computer.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?