Masters Thesis Topics and Literature

In summary, your advisor should have a rough plan for your thesis and should know what level you are at. If you don't understand something, you should ask for help from your supervisor. There are many books and papers on the topic of defects and their effects. However, for your first chapters, you need help from your advisor.
Pual Black
hello
I am searching for master Thesis topic in
"the types of defects and the influence of this defects on the optical, electrical and magnetic properties"
I will be very grateful if you could give a link to any professor that has such a topic or similar to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pual Black said:
hello
I am searching for master Thesis topic in
"the types of defects and the influence of this defects on the optical, electrical and magnetic properties"
I will be very grateful if you could give a link to any professor that has such a topic or similar to this.

Here's the most obvious question: Have you asked your advisor?!

Zz.

yes I asked my advisor to give me a Master Thesis but he suggested me a few books like Charles Kittel and J. S. Blakemore and few others.I read the books and downloaded a few lecture notes to understand a few things which are difficult in these books.
But i still need a Thesis to learn how to write it and learn a few more things.

hope you can help me

You need to talk to your advisor again.
Its his job to guide you during your thesis, basically he should have a rough plan on what you are going to do and which tools you are to use.

One reason is practical, your advisor should be able to understand your work and spot conceptual errors quickly.
Especially the latter is important as this can completely undermine your work (an overly dramatic example could be ignoring the difference between fermions and bosons and using commutators everywhere).
A second reason is that he should know (approximately) what level you're on. This way you can discuss your work without him using advanced ideas that are out of your reach (in a reasonable timeframe).

tl;dr
Contact your advisor, we cannot help you in a realistic way.

Likes Pual Black
That's an incredibly broad topic, your advisor probably didn't give you a thesis as there likely isn't one. The way defects affect a material are material specific. Even something as simple as a grain boundary can affect different materials differently. For example in CdTe solar cells, grain boundaries are often considered to improve the efficiency in some way(although this is still controversial), whereas in most other materials they reduce the efficiency of your device.

Vagn said:
That's an incredibly broad topic, your advisor probably didn't give you a thesis as there likely isn't one. The way defects affect a material are material specific. Even something as simple as a grain boundary can affect different materials differently. For example in CdTe solar cells, grain boundaries are often considered to improve the efficiency in some way(although this is still controversial), whereas in most other materials they reduce the efficiency of your device.

My advisor didn't specify a material. He said i have to lean the basics of this topic.Therefore i asked you to suggest me a thesis or lecture notes in this topic. I searched in google but only get results which are material specific.
I need something general.
Can you at least give me a link where i can understand the electrical properties of solids and how point defects , line defects affects the electrical conductivity.
I hope you can help me this time. I need your help in this step. Then i can search by my own.

Pual Black said:
My advisor didn't specify a material. He said i have to lean the basics of this topic.Therefore i asked you to suggest me a thesis or lecture notes in this topic. I searched in google but only get results which are material specific.
I need something general.
Can you at least give me a link where i can understand the electrical properties of solids and how point defects , line defects affects the electrical conductivity.
I hope you can help me this time. I need your help in this step. Then i can search by my own.
In which case the textbooks your advisor recommended are best to read. If you don't understand then read it again, if you are still struggling, go back to your supervisor and ask for further reading, they know what level you are at better than anyone here will and should know how much condensed matter physics you have studied. You could start with looking at some of the relevant books in this list.

Likes Pual Black
i asked my advisor again and he told me that this year i have only to learn how to write a thesis. I don't have to write my own thesis.
He suggested me to collect a few research and summarize them into one and of course use them as reference.
there are many open access journals and i found a few papers.
how does defects change the electrical, optical and magnetic properties is no problem anymore. There are many papers.
But for my first Chapters ( Ch1. Crystal structure Ch2. types of defects ) i didnt found any thesis. I need a thesis because usually they write the References and i need them.
hope you can help me now

Read "How to write a thesis" by Umberto Eco.

hello again
first thank you all for your help. I finished my first 3 Chapter of my thesis.
But i need your help again. I have problems finding articles about "how defects affects the electrical properties of solids"
i found a few very good articles like this
1. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2014/863404/ (open access)
2. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925838814016880

but all other that i found don't give me the information that i need. I need articles like the 2 above which show clearly the changes in electrical properties with the kind of defect.
hope you can suggest me a few articles or show me how to search for similar articles.

i finished my thesis and my advisor told me that is really good. But it is not my own work. I just summarized other thesis and papers. Now I want to make my own research but i need a subject. Of course nobody else should did the research. I thought about some materials and checked in google if I get a result. Unfortunately there is always a result which means somebody else did this research.
Is it possible to get suggested works?

Your advisor should know topics which are accessible enough for you to do research on.

1. What is a Masters Thesis?

A Masters Thesis is a research project that is typically completed by graduate students in order to earn a Masters degree. It requires independent research, critical analysis, and a well-written document that presents the findings and arguments of the student.

2. How do I choose a topic for my Masters Thesis?

Choosing a topic for your Masters Thesis can be a daunting task. It is important to select a topic that you are passionate about and that aligns with your academic and career goals. You can start by brainstorming ideas, discussing with your advisor, and researching current literature in your field to identify gaps that you can contribute to.

3. What makes a good Masters Thesis topic?

A good Masters Thesis topic is one that is relevant, original, and feasible. It should address a specific research question or problem and have the potential to contribute to the existing body of knowledge in your field. Additionally, a good topic should be manageable in terms of time and resources.

4. How do I conduct a literature review for my Masters Thesis?

A literature review is a critical analysis of existing research and literature on a specific topic. To conduct a literature review for your Masters Thesis, you should start by identifying key terms related to your topic and searching for relevant sources such as academic journals, books, and other scholarly publications. You should then read and analyze the sources to identify key themes, arguments, and gaps in knowledge.

5. Can I change my Masters Thesis topic once it's approved?

It is possible to change your Masters Thesis topic after it has been approved, but it is not recommended. Changing your topic can delay your progress and may require additional time and resources. If you are considering changing your topic, it is important to discuss it with your advisor and ensure that it aligns with your academic and career goals.