Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Masters Thesis Topics and Literature

1. Mar 14, 2016 #1
    hello
    I am searching for master Thesis topic in
    "the types of defects and the influence of this defects on the optical, electrical and magnetic properties"
    I will be very grateful if you could give a link to any professor that has such a topic or similar to this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Here's the most obvious question: Have you asked your advisor?!

Zz.

4. Mar 14, 2016 #3
    yes I asked my advisor to give me a Master Thesis but he suggested me a few books like Charles Kittel and J. S. Blakemore and few others.I read the books and downloaded a few lecture notes to understand a few things which are difficult in these books.
    But i still need a Thesis to learn how to write it and learn a few more things.

hope you can help me

5. Mar 14, 2016 #4
    You need to talk to your advisor again.
    Its his job to guide you during your thesis, basically he should have a rough plan on what you are going to do and which tools you are to use.

One reason is practical, your advisor should be able to understand your work and spot conceptual errors quickly.
    Especially the latter is important as this can completely undermine your work (an overly dramatic example could be ignoring the difference between fermions and bosons and using commutators everywhere).
    A second reason is that he should know (approximately) what level you're on. This way you can discuss your work without him using advanced ideas that are out of your reach (in a reasonable timeframe).

tl;dr
    Contact your advisor, we cannot help you in a realistic way.

6. Mar 14, 2016 #5
    That's an incredibly broad topic, your advisor probably didn't give you a thesis as there likely isn't one. The way defects affect a material are material specific. Even something as simple as a grain boundary can affect different materials differently. For example in CdTe solar cells, grain boundaries are often considered to improve the efficiency in some way(although this is still controversial), whereas in most other materials they reduce the efficiency of your device.

7. Mar 15, 2016 #6
    My advisor didn't specify a material. He said i have to lean the basics of this topic.Therefore i asked you to suggest me a thesis or lecture notes in this topic. I searched in google but only get results which are material specific.
    I need something general.
    Can you at least give me a link where i can understand the electrical properties of solids and how point defects , line defects affects the electrical conductivity.
    I hope you can help me this time. I need your help in this step. Then i can search by my own.

8. Mar 15, 2016 #7
    In which case the textbooks your advisor recommended are best to read. If you don't understand then read it again, if you are still struggling, go back to your supervisor and ask for further reading, they know what level you are at better than anyone here will and should know how much condensed matter physics you have studied. You could start with looking at some of the relevant books in this list.

9. Mar 21, 2016 #8
    i asked my advisor again and he told me that this year i have only to learn how to write a thesis. I dont have to write my own thesis.
    He suggested me to collect a few research and summarize them into one and of course use them as reference.
    there are many open access journals and i found a few papers.
    how does defects change the electrical, optical and magnetic properties is no problem anymore. There are many papers.
    But for my first Chapters ( Ch1. Crystal structure Ch2. types of defects ) i didnt found any thesis. I need a thesis because usually they write the References and i need them.
    hope you can help me now

10. Mar 26, 2016 #9
    Read "How to write a thesis" by Umberto Eco.

11. Apr 13, 2016 #10
    hello again
    first thank you all for your help. I finished my first 3 Chapter of my thesis.
    But i need your help again. I have problems finding articles about "how defects affects the electrical properties of solids"
    i found a few very good articles like this
    1. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2014/863404/ (open access)
    2. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925838814016880

but all other that i found don't give me the information that i need. I need articles like the 2 above which show clearly the changes in electrical properties with the kind of defect.
    hope you can suggest me a few articles or show me how to search for similar articles.

12. May 15, 2016 #11
    i finished my thesis and my advisor told me that is really good. But it is not my own work. I just summarized other thesis and papers. Now I want to make my own research but i need a subject. Of course nobody else should did the research. I thought about some materials and checked in google if I get a result. Unfortunately there is always a result which means somebody else did this research.
    Is it possible to get suggested works?

13. May 15, 2016 #12

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your advisor should know topics which are accessible enough for you to do research on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted