1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Materials Science and Engineering

1. Jul 17, 2013 #1
    Hi all,
    I am interested in pursuing a degree in materials engineering in order to become a materials scientist/engineer. However, I am a bit confused with the wording of some of the degrees various colleges are offering.

Is there a difference between a degree in Materials Engineering and a degree in Materials Science and Engineering? Some universities offer the former, and some offer the latter. Could you get a job as a materials scientist AND as a materials engineer with a degree in just Materials Engineering? Same question for the a degree in Materials Science and Engineering?

Also, I know that ABET accreditation is somewhat important for degrees such as Mechanical Engineering or EECS. However, materials science/engineering seems like a more specialized field, so is ABET accreditation important for that?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2013 #2
    I personally can't help you, but in the meantime, you could contact a counselor, dean or professor in those degrees. No doubt they can clear the confusion best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook