Math and Language (Specifically Linguistics)

In summary: Clear thinking and clear writing go hand in hand so I think it's best to ground your writing in logic and grammar (Which is what I'm currently trying to do). A good introduction to logic is "Introduction to Logic" by Copi and "Introduction to Logic and the Scientific Method" by Cohen. A good grammar book I'm told is "A Grammar Book for you and I... Oops, Me." I have it but I'm waiting until I finish the first part of my logic intro to begin it.
Noxide
As many of you know, precise language is necessary for effective communication in mathematics. Although I find that I am quite capable of communicating my thoughts effectively and clearly, I feel that there is always room for improvement.

Please recommend an introductory, and perhaps a sequence of follow-up texts, for linguistics that is taught with mathematicians in mind.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for being a bit pedantic, but I don't think linguistics (the scientific study of natural language) is what you're looking for.

Linguistics is the study of phonology, typology, grammars, morphology, and the like. I think what you're looking for falls into English or communication (the latter being the 'evil twin' of linguistics :wink:).

adriank said:
Sorry for being a bit pedantic, but I don't think linguistics (the scientific study of natural language) is what you're looking for.

English sentences are used to communicate ideas in mathematical research papers. Sentences only make sense given that they follow rules of syntax. Linguistics helps one to understand and apply rules of syntax to english sentences. In case you forgot, english (a natural language) sentences are used to communicate ideas in mathematical research papers. Clearly, linguistics (as you put it) is what I need. But to be pedantic, what I "need" is a subfield of linguistics that deals with syntax and grammar.

Noxide said:
But to be pedantic, what I "need" is a subfield of linguistics that deals with syntax and grammar.

The only relevant subfield of linguistics I can see would be pragmatics. What good would it be to learn about X-bar transformative grammars, if your only goal is to write better?

IMO, a better choice than a course in linguistics is a book such as Strunk and White's "Elements of Style" or similar. One of the things stressed in the book is clear, unambiguous writing.

I doubt very much that you will be able to find a course in linguistics anywhere, that is geared toward mathematics.

Mark44 said:
IMO, a better choice than a course in linguistics is a book such as Strunk and White's "Elements of Style" or similar. One of the things stressed in the book is clear, unambiguous writing.

I doubt very much that you will be able to find a course in linguistics anywhere, that is geared toward mathematics.

I'd stay away from books such as "Elements of Style." My writing is terrible and that book or similar books like "On Writing Well" did not help improve it one iota. The advice was too vague for me to put into practical use. Clear thinking and clear writing go hand in hand so I think it's best to ground your writing in logic and grammar (Which is what I'm currently trying to do). A good introduction to logic is "Introduction to Logic" by Copi and "Introduction to Logic and the Scientific Method" by Cohen. A good grammar book I'm told is "A Grammar Book for you and I... Oops, Me." I have it but I'm waiting until I finish the first part of my logic intro to begin it.

"Elements of Style" has been in print for at least 50 years, so it must have helped some people's writing skills. I don't have my copy here with me, but I recall that there are some sections at the back that give pretty focused directions on writing clearly.

Oh I definitely agree that "The Elements of Style" offers good advice. I like how concise the book is and how lean Strunk's writing is. I think that's why the book appeals to so many people in the first place. There is a certain grace to its brevity. But its brevity is ultimately its undoing. He says far too little. For example tip number 16 starts with a simple: "Be clear." Sound advice no doubt. But what does that mean? "But since writing is communication, clarity can only be a virtue." Great. He continues, "Clarity, clarity, clarity. When you become hopelessly mired in a sentence, it is best to start fresh;" Alright... "Muddiness is not merely a distruber of prose, it is also a destroyer of life, of hope: death on the highway caused by a badly worded roan sign, heartbreak among lovers caused by a misplaced phrase in a well-intentioned letter, anguish of a traveler...

I was pulling my hairs out by the end of that paragraph. I've never seen someone so elegantly say absolutely nothing at all! I get it, write clearly. But HOW?

This is why I prefer a book like "A grammar book for you and I, Oops me." It builds a foundation with the parts of speech. Nouns, verbs, conjuctions, everything is put under the magnifying glass and is taken meticulously apart and then put back together.

And only once that solid grounding is in place does the author build on it delving into writing style in the most practical manner. He goes into detail about not only what specific structures it takes to be articulate but where to place them in the sentence. He shows how to build a basic sentence, how to add onto it using the art of subordination and lastly how to shape it using parallel structure. How can you learn to play beautiful music if you don't know what pitch and scale are? I think a lot of Strunk's advice is equivalent to saying, "Play better!"

Also you should definitely avoid Strunk and White if learning grammar is your goal:
http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497

Now that I think about it to get the most out of "The Elements of Style" you should probably pick up a grammar book first. Once you're done with it you can dissect the writing of "Elements". See what sentence structures he uses, what words he chooses and why.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is related to you but try Lakoff & Nuñez "Where mathematics come from?". It is a cognitive approach to mathematical metaphors that we construct to exchange ideas. It is a wonderful book.

1. What is the relationship between math and language?

The relationship between math and language is complex and multifaceted. On one hand, both math and language are systems of symbols and rules used to communicate and represent abstract ideas. However, math is often seen as a more precise and universal language, while natural languages (such as English or Spanish) have more ambiguity and cultural context. Additionally, some linguistic theories suggest that the human brain uses similar cognitive processes for both math and language.

2. How does linguistics involve math?

Linguistics involves math in various ways, such as in the study of phonetics and phonology, which use mathematical models to analyze the sounds and patterns of language. Linguists also use statistics and probability to analyze data and make predictions about language patterns. Additionally, mathematical concepts such as logic and set theory are often used in the study of syntax and semantics.

3. Can studying linguistics help improve math skills?

There is some evidence that studying linguistics can improve math skills, as both subjects involve problem-solving, critical thinking, and pattern recognition. Additionally, learning a second language has been shown to improve cognitive abilities, including mathematical reasoning. However, the extent to which studying linguistics directly improves math skills is still a subject of debate.

4. Are there any connections between language and numbers?

Yes, there are several connections between language and numbers. In some languages, the words for numbers are closely related to their linguistic roots. For example, the word "four" in English is derived from the same root as "forty," "fourth," and "fourteen." Additionally, some languages have unique linguistic structures for expressing numbers, such as the base-20 system in some Native American languages.

5. How does language influence mathematical thinking?

Language can influence mathematical thinking in various ways. For example, the structure and vocabulary of a language can affect how easily and efficiently certain mathematical concepts can be expressed and understood. Additionally, cultural and linguistic differences can impact how people approach and solve mathematical problems. Some studies also suggest that bilingualism can lead to different problem-solving strategies in mathematics.