1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math and physics book to read over the summer

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    Hi guys,

I am going to major in physics in the fall,but I will be studying alot this summer. I just finished AP physics,AP calculus AB,chemistry it was good but I think the AP calculus AB isn't really rigorous or challenging. I currently have in my mind those reading list for books

Calculus:
    Spivak and stewart.
    Khan academy

For physics:
    I thinking about reading University physics young and freedman.

What other book do you suggest reading over the summer? I don't really go out much so I have alot of time in my hand that I can cover it in summer.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2
    If you want to do mathematics theorem-proof, I don't think the Khan academy will help you very much. It is mostly geared toward doing problems rather than proving theorems.

If you don't have much previous exposure to physics I think Y&F is a good read. I learned special relativity and electromagnetism from it one summer.

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    What would you suggest for math reading material that treat the subject rigorously.
    I already did calculus I in ap calculus AB but I want to do it and calculus II rigorously with proofs with many challenging questions on the end of chapter.

5. May 14, 2012 #4
    I have never read Spivak, but I hear it's good and rigorous. I don't think you can go wrong with Spivak. If you don't like his style, I have also heard good things about Apostol.

6. May 14, 2012 #5
    Cool I will try those books.

7. May 14, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you already know calculus, then doing Stewart and khan academy is useless. Try to focus on Spivak, that'll be challenging enough.

If you're unfamiliar with rigorous texts, then you might try out "How to think like a mathematician" by Houston.

8. May 14, 2012 #7

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

read the Feynman lectures

9. May 14, 2012 #8
    Thanks I will use these resource that should keep me busy :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook