1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math courses beyond undergrad requirements

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    I'm a first year physics and astrophysics double major. My schedule has me taking Differential Equations next year and Linear Algebra the following semester(or vice versa, I haven't asked my advisor which to take first). After that there are no required math courses to complete my degree. What are some math classes I should take beyond linear algebra/differential equations? Would a math minor supplement my degree well or is it unnecessary? And if there are no truly necessary math classes which ones are useful/interesting? I'm definitely interested in taking more so any advice is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It depends a lot on what you will be doing later. Will you be going the experimental route? Will you be doing theoretical GR? Stuff like that.

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3
    As Micromass said, it really depends on what you'll be doing later, but I would imagine a class in scientific computing would be useful for just about everyone. They are most often offered by applied math department.

5. Oct 15, 2015 #4
    Astrophysics in general you will need much more skills in the programming department. I would focus on that, if you are interested in more theoretical aspects of astrophysics then programming will still be largely useful. After that you may want to start on some more advanced vector spaces and lead your self into the ideas of manifolds (the basis of differential geometry, the math of General relativity).

Also, learn some more programming.

And program a lot.

Oh, did I forget to mention programming?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook