Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question

In summary, the speakers are discussing a math exam question that involved determining the distance between two lookout points and a campfire using bearings. However, they are unable to solve the problem due to ambiguity and lack of understanding of the term "bearing." The speakers believe that the question should be changed or clarified for future exams.
Jayden1
So basically, this one question messed me up in my maths exam today. Everything we went over yesterday concerning tangent lines/derivetives I went pretty well in.

The question was. There are two lookout points. A and B. There is a campirefire at a bearing of 40 degrees from A. From point B, the campfire is at a bearing of 20 degrees. From point B, A is at a bearing of 120 degrees. A and B are 10 km apart. Find the distance between A and the campfire.

I tried and tried, but I was unable to do it. Probably because I don't know what bearing is. I thought it meant in relation to north.EDIT: This seems rubbish. Taking these bearings is impossible. If A is located to the left of B, there is no way A's bearing will be more than Bs bearing (in relation to the campfire)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jayden said:
So basically, this one question messed me up in my maths exam today. Everything we went over yesterday concerning tangent lines/derivetives I went pretty well in.

The question was. There are two lookout points. A and B. There is a campirefire at a bearing of 40 degrees from A. From point B, the campfire is at a bearing of 20 degrees. From point B, A is at a bearing of 120 degrees. A and B are 10 km apart. Find the distance between A and the campfire.

I tried and tried, but I was unable to do it. Probably because I don't know what bearing is. I thought it meant in relation to north.EDIT: This seems rubbish. Taking these bearings is impossible. If A is located to the left of B, there is no way A's bearing will be more than Bs bearing (in relation to the campfire)

Agreed, the given data is impossible.

CB

Either I read it wrong, or the examiners will need to change the marks. The only thing I can think of is that maybe they meant take the bearing from C, not A/B. But I am pretty sure this is what it said.

Jayden said:

I believe this is impossible however you define bearing here, but I suspect the term is ambiguous. I understand the term bearing without qualification to be an angle measured from N clockwise. I think both the reference direction and the sense of the angle may be different in different contexts.

CB

Well either way. It's far too ambiguous for an exam question if you ask me.

What is the "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question"?

The "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question" is a math problem that has gained attention due to its difficulty and unsolvability by traditional means.

Why is the "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question" considered unsolvable?

The "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question" is considered unsolvable because it involves finding the bearing of a point without any given information about the coordinates or direction of the point.

What methods have been attempted to solve the "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question"?

Many methods have been attempted to solve the "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question", including using trigonometry, vectors, and algebraic equations. However, all of these methods have been proven to be unsuccessful.

Why is the "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question" important in the field of mathematics?

The "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question" is important in the field of mathematics because it challenges traditional problem-solving techniques and highlights the need for creative and critical thinking in math.

Is there a solution to the "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question"?

Currently, there is no known solution to the "Math Exam Woe: Unsolvable Bearing Question". It remains a challenging and unsolved problem in the field of mathematics.