Math/Physics vs Physics/Engineering double major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the popularity of double majors in college and specifically compares the combination of math and physics versus physics and mechanical engineering. The speaker advises against aiming for a double major solely for the purpose of applying to physics grad school, as it is not necessary. However, they suggest considering a minor or taking electives in math if the interest is strong. The speaker also mentions that for a career as a physicist, a double major in physics and math would be most beneficial.
Ishida52134
Which double major is generally more popular in college?
I'm considering either math and physics or physics and mechanical engineering.
I'm probably going to pursue a career in physics in grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maths/physics. I heard physics/engineering is nearly impossible, and more courses overlap in maths/physics.

I'm willing to bet you're a freshman or in high school. Why do you want a double major anyway? It won't get you any points when applying to physics grad school. All they care about is if you're a physics major.

If it's because you really like math, don't worry, you'll learn plenty math as a physics major. You don't have to commit to picking up a whole major and lengthen your degree just because of that interest, especially if it's moot in the endgame. Consider taking a some math as electives or picking up a minor.

Engineering is a little different than physics. If you're sure you want to be in the middle, consider schools that have an engineering physics or applied physics degree. Just keep in mind you're strongest for a PhD in physics with a physics BS. I know two people that did the physics+math and really, it made them know more math, but it didn't make them better physicists than the vanilla majors.

For a physics PhD and career as a physicist - definitely go with Physics/Math.

For all other careers and post grad choices, I would go with Engineering/Math or maybe Engineering/Physics.

Both double majors, math and physics and physics and engineering, are popular choices in college. However, the popularity may vary depending on the specific college or university. In general, the math and physics double major is more common as it provides a strong foundation in theoretical and mathematical concepts that are essential in the field of physics. This combination is also highly valued in graduate programs in physics. On the other hand, the physics and engineering double major is also a valuable combination as it provides a strong understanding of both theoretical and applied concepts in physics, as well as practical engineering skills. Ultimately, the decision between the two double majors should be based on your personal interests and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a career in physics, both double majors can provide a solid foundation and it may be beneficial to research the specific curriculum and opportunities offered by each program at your desired college or university.

1. What is the difference between a Math/Physics and a Physics/Engineering double major?

A Math/Physics double major focuses on the theoretical and mathematical principles underlying physics, while a Physics/Engineering double major emphasizes the practical application of physics in engineering fields such as mechanical, electrical, or aerospace engineering.

2. Can I pursue both majors at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a double major in both Math/Physics and Physics/Engineering. However, it may require careful planning and time management to complete all the required coursework for both majors.

3. Will a double major in Math/Physics and Physics/Engineering give me an advantage in the job market?

Having a double major in these fields can make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate for jobs in both the scientific and engineering industries. Employers may view this combination as a valuable asset, as it demonstrates both strong theoretical knowledge and practical skills.

4. What are the career options for someone with a double major in Math/Physics and Physics/Engineering?

With this combination of majors, you may have career options in a variety of fields, such as research and development, engineering design, data analysis, or teaching. Your career path may also depend on which specific courses and projects you focus on within your double major.

5. How can I decide if a double major in Math/Physics and Physics/Engineering is right for me?

If you are interested in both the theoretical and practical aspects of physics and have strong mathematical and problem-solving skills, a double major in these fields may be a good fit for you. It is also helpful to speak with academic advisors, professors, or professionals in the field to gain more insight into the potential benefits and challenges of pursuing a double major.