Math preparation for business school?

In summary, the individual is an undergraduate student considering business school in the future. They are wondering what type of math would be useful to make themselves look good and be prepared for coursework. The responder suggests statistics as a handy tool for any business career, with measure theory and probability being helpful for finance. They also mention that a strong quantitative GMAT score and experience in leadership roles will be important for a business school application. They clarify that this advice is for an MBA and not a PhD program.
phantomcow2
My question isn't related to natural sciences as most in this forum are, so I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to ask. I'm an undergrad junior (almost a senior) and am considering business school a few years down the road. I'm wondering, though, what kind of math should I have taken to

1. Make myself look good.
2. Be adequately prepared for the coursework.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, statistics comes to mind. That's a handy tool to have in your toolbox no matter where you end up going.

What area of business are you interested in? Because if you want to get into finance, you're going to need a lot more advanced math.

Measure theory & probability should come in handy - it is not a very easy subject to learn, however, so dedication is required.

phantomcow2 said:
1. Make myself look good.

Looks like you already have what it takes to become a businessman. lol.

Your transcript and which classes you took really won't be part of the application for business school. Schools will look at your major and your GPA and probably won't care which math classes you took. You will get credit for being an engineering, math, or science major, and for having a strong quantitative GMAT score.

Probability and statistics is probably the most relevant to general business type problems. I would take whatever will help you be most successful in your career. That will be far more important on a business school application.

Oh, and don't forget to work on the leadership portion of your resume. Clubs, service, etc, can be important to a business job and business school application.

Edit: I'm assuming by "business school" you mean an MBA and not a PhD. The answer is very different for a business PhD.

1. What math topics should I focus on for business school?

In general, you should focus on topics such as algebra, statistics, calculus, and financial math. These topics will be important for understanding business concepts and making calculations in the business world.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to succeed in business school?

While having a strong math background may be beneficial, it is not necessarily a requirement for success in business school. Many programs offer math courses specifically tailored for business students, and there are also resources available to help students improve their math skills.

3. How can I improve my math skills for business school?

There are a few ways to improve your math skills for business school. You can take extra courses or seek out tutoring, practice with math problems and formulas, and familiarize yourself with the types of math used in business contexts.

4. Should I review basic math concepts before starting business school?

It is always a good idea to review basic math concepts before starting business school. This will help you build a strong foundation and make it easier to understand more complex concepts later on.

5. How much math will I actually use in the business world?

The amount of math you will use in the business world will vary depending on your specific job and industry. However, having a solid understanding of math concepts and being able to make calculations will be useful in many business roles, from finance to marketing to operations.