1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math preparation for business school?

1. Apr 30, 2010 #1
    My question isn't related to natural sciences as most in this forum are, so I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to ask. I'm an undergrad junior (almost a senior) and am considering business school a few years down the road. I'm wondering, though, what kind of math should I have taken to

1. Make myself look good.
    2. Be adequately prepared for the coursework.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, statistics comes to mind. That's a handy tool to have in your toolbox no matter where you end up going.

What area of business are you interested in? Because if you want to get into finance, you're going to need a lot more advanced math.

4. May 1, 2010 #3
    Measure theory & probability should come in handy - it is not a very easy subject to learn, however, so dedication is required.

5. May 1, 2010 #4
    Looks like you already have what it takes to become a businessman. lol.

6. May 1, 2010 #5
    Your transcript and which classes you took really won't be part of the application for business school. Schools will look at your major and your GPA and probably won't care which math classes you took. You will get credit for being an engineering, math, or science major, and for having a strong quantitative GMAT score.

Probability and statistics is probably the most relevant to general business type problems. I would take whatever will help you be most successful in your career. That will be far more important on a business school application.

Oh, and don't forget to work on the leadership portion of your resume. Clubs, service, etc, can be important to a business job and business school application.

Edit: I'm assuming by "business school" you mean an MBA and not a PhD. The answer is very different for a business PhD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook