1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math *Questions* Involving Probablity

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) How many times must you roll two six-sided dice for there to be at least a 50% chance that you roll two 6's at least once?

2) It is estimated that 5.9% of Americans have diabetes. Suppose a medical lab uses a test for diabetes that 98% accurate for people who have the disease and 95% accurate for the people who do not have it. Find the conditional probability that a randomly selected person actually has diabetes given that the lab test says they have it.

2. Relevant equations

-None-

3. The attempt at a solution

Question One:

Work: chance of rolling a six(dice one) x chance of rolling a six(dice two) x one half

1/6 x 1/6 x 1/2 = 1/72

72 rolls?

Question Two:

Work:

P(accurate) x (accurate|don't have diabetes) - P(accurate) x (accurate|have diabetes)
    (.95 x .941)-(.98 x .059)= .89395-.83163 = about 5.782% ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

q1: mathematicians look at this problem in reverse and instead ask whats the probability of not getting two sixes in a row and then multiply it over and over until they get to the 50% mark and the number of times they multiplied will be the number of rolls needed.

q2: is a a bayesian conditional probability question, you need the bayes eqn to compute it:

p(A given B) = p(B given A) * p(A) / p(B) or succinctly p(A|B)=p(B|A)p(A)/p(B)

where A= prob of having diabetes and B=prob of positive test

4. Apr 28, 2012 #3
    My approach to problem two was to set an arbitrary number of people in the population (say 1 million) and then figure out the number of people who A) have the disease and get a positive test result and then B) don't have the disease, but still get a positive result.
    Then the answer is A/(A+B), which was ~55%

I only approached the problem this way because I'm not familiar with bayesian equation that jedishrufu mentioned.

5. Apr 28, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Your answer of 5.78% is close to mine of 5.89%

6. Apr 28, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Answer for 1 is n = 25. Answer for 2 is 5782/10487 ≈ 0.55, or about 55%.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook