Math related to representing functions as compositions of others?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of representing or approximating given functions as compositions of others. Different methods such as function decomposition, multivariate Taylor series, and summation over a set of orthogonal functions are mentioned as ways to achieve this. The conversation also mentions the relevance of these methods in various fields such as computer programming and credit evaluation. Resources like Wikipedia and Mathworld are suggested for further exploration of the topic.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the general topic of representing (or approximating) given functions as compositions of others.

Of course, one task is define precisely what this means. What are some interesting problems (theoretical or statistical) that require it?

Perhaps a Google virtuoso can do better than my attempts. I've used terms like "function decomposition" and I get lots of hits, but they are mostly about organizing businesses or computer programs. Abstractly, such problems do have some relevance. For example, a typical computer program needs to compute some function F(x,y,z,w...) and it's useful to do this in steps that compute simpler functions like g(x,y), h(z,w) and thus F becomes F(g(x,y),h(z,w)).

Several years ago, I saw a paper where some people were analying a way to evaluate the creditworthiness of loan applicants in a baltic country and they proposed a method of decomposing a function F(x,y,z,...) specified by a numerical table into simpler functions, also given by tables. I don't recall the specifics.

Writing a function as a multivariate Taylor series is a decomposition. I'm curious if there is interesting math besides that approach and besides the more general approach of representing a function as a summation over a set of orthogonal functions. Or maybe someone has proven that all approaches amount to these summation approaches?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
there are several approaches depending on the type of function:

f(x,y,z) = X(x) * Y(y) * Z(z) is used in solving some types of partial differential eqns

other types of product sequences can be used to approximate a function as in the product sequence for the Reimmann functions.

Anyway Wikipedia has a brief article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_decomposition

which might point you in other directions. Mathworld search lists a bunch of methods specific to it but no general duscussion.

1. What is a function composition?

A function composition is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a new function. It is denoted by the symbol "∘" and read as "composed with". The output of one function becomes the input of the other function.

2. How do you represent a function as a composition of others?

To represent a function as a composition of others, you need to break down the original function into smaller, simpler functions. Then you can combine these smaller functions in a specific order to create the composed function. This process is also known as "decomposition".

3. What are the benefits of representing functions as compositions of others?

Representing functions as compositions of others can make complex functions easier to understand and manipulate. It also allows for the use of simpler functions to represent more complicated relationships. Additionally, function composition can be used to solve real-world problems, such as modeling the motion of objects or predicting future values.

4. Can any two functions be composed?

No, not all functions can be composed. For two functions to be composed, the output of the first function must be a valid input for the second function. This means that the domains and ranges of the functions must be compatible.

5. How do you find the composition of two functions?

To find the composition of two functions, you need to plug the inner function into the outer function. This means that the output of the inner function becomes the input of the outer function. The resulting function will be the composition of the two original functions.