Math REUs 2016

Going off last years thread, 2016 math reu acceptances (or general discussion)

Has anyone heard back yet?

Answers and Replies

Haven't heard anything yet. It seems Emory's participants have all been chosen because they're listed on the site, but I'm guessing it's the usual crop of MIT / Harvard and Emory kids.

Based on last year's info I'm guessing some first-round acceptance stuff will go out pretty soon, like within the next week or two?

Judging by last year's thread, we should be hearing back from SMALL and a few other programs right about now. Has anyone heard anything this far this week?

Acceptances have been sent out for SMALL already.

Likes WhatIsCohomology
Okay, thanks for the reply. Does anyone have any news about Potsdam or TAMU or any other programs?

Have all SMALL projects been filled?

I know WADE is still interviewing.

I emailed them and they said they're not quite done with the process but that they're pretty sure I didn't get it, meaning that they're probably still filling up, but almost done.

For SMALL, do you always have to make it to the shortlist to get in? Or is it specific to some groups like the Number Theory one.

Shortlists? How long are those? From the name (and not based on other knowledge), it sounds like you have to make it to that stage to get in.

For SMALL, do you always have to make it to the shortlist to get in? Or is it specific to some groups like the Number Theory one.
Im not 100% but i think that you do have to make it on the shortlist first.

West Georgia is still making decisions it seems. Any update on the others?

Im not 100% but i think that you do have to make it on the shortlist first.
Even for the Geometry project? I have never heard of anyone mentioning the geom shortlist before.

Even for the Geometry project? I have never heard of anyone mentioning the geom shortlist before.
That was my (unfounded) impression, but like I said, I'm not certain.

How do you guys prioritize
  • prestige of the program
  • likelihood of publication
  • how interesting the topic is to you
  • location/the "fun" factor

Should be sending decisions this week: UCSB, DIMACS, WADE
Not for a while: Kansas, Seattle U

Updates on SMALL?

@test123321 I think it depends on your situation. For me it would be my first time doing original research, so even though I'm only considering places with topics that interest me I would go somewhere that I feel would help me learn and grow more over somewhere that might have a slightly more interesting topic. It's definitely difficult to come up with a definitive way to rank programs given all of the factors, and I think it depends greatly on what you think will help you grow most as well as on your personal preferences (ex: working on your own versus with others).

@alex89029 did/does UCSB do shortlist notifications or anything like that, or will decisions this week be the first piece of info coming from them?

@cubsin5 I don't think they do shortlists

Likes WhatIsCohomology
Anyone know anything about SUNY or TAMU?

UT Tyler and SHSU should both notify around the second or third week of March.

Since Emory currently has 12 participants listed on their site (and they estimate 10-14), is it safe to say they're done with acceptances?

Since Emory currently has 12 participants listed on their site (and they estimate 10-14), is it safe to say they're done with acceptances?
That would be my guess.

@WhatIsCohomology I haven't heard anything from Potsdam or TAMU as of yet.

Likes WhatIsCohomology
I got into Cornell with no funding (they only give fundings for Cornell students). Is it worth going when I have a much less prestigious program but with fundings? Btw, I'm a sophomore, so I have one more chance.

This is my first semester applying to math REUs (current sophomore). I received an acceptance from UCSB yesterday morning - does anyone know how good of a program it is? I'm just curious... I haven't heard from anyone else yet.

Likes WhatIsCohomology
This is my first semester applying to math REUs (current sophomore). I received an acceptance from UCSB yesterday morning - does anyone know how good of a program it is? I'm just curious... I haven't heard from anyone else yet.
I don't have personal experience with the program, but judging by their list of publications and projects, and some threads I've read on here, it seems like a quite good program. Someone with personal experience can probably speak more to that, though.

Likes TRetz
Anyone know anything about Cornell REU? I got into the PDE one.

I'm in a similar boat as you, Miao. I'm a soph that got into Cornell's prog. but am a bit iffy on saying if I'll go for sure. I'm in the analysis on fractals group if I do go. I heard from a friend that it was a great program and she really enjoyed it, though I do not have a very detailed comparison or even description.