Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math & Science Related Films Worth Watching

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    Pi (1998)
    Director: Darren Aronofsky

A Beautiful Mind (2001)
    Director: Ron Howard

Good Will Hunting (1997)
    Director: Gus Van Sant

Cube (1997)
    Director: Vincenzo Natali

Cube 2: Hypercube (2002)
    Director: Andrzej Sekula

Can anyone else think of some good ones ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    Apollo 13
    Men in Black .... Um!
  4. Oct 21, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Dish (2000) with Sam Neill and Patrick Warburton.

Features one of the most incredible slide rule feats ever - 6 significant digits! (Okay, the movie has a few holes, but it's still a fun movie).
  5. Oct 21, 2008 #4
    Gattaca(1997) Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman
  6. Oct 21, 2008 #5
    Wait, I though Cube is sci-fi. Is it about math?

Funny story about Cube, by the way. I once was in a video rental store with a friend of mine, and we saw Cube. I made the random comment, "dude, they could make a sequel and call it Hypercube!" Five minutes later I located the sequel, and I had correctly predicted its title! Anyway, carry on...
  7. Oct 21, 2008 #6
    Cool. I did the same thing once only with a different movie. Actually I did it with two separate movies. I predicted the titles of the sequels of both Rocky and The Godfather.
  8. Oct 21, 2008 #7
    Wow no one has mentioned Blade Runner yet?

Sneakers (kind of)
  9. Oct 21, 2008 #8
    Cube 1 and 2 were awesome!

Anyone see the indie movie "Primer". That was really trippy.

10. Oct 21, 2008 #9
    Blade Runner seemed rather on the science fiction side of things to me. Though I have to confess I didn't really get it and I didn't find it very entertaining. I read the book first and I think that was a mistake; it was kind of a mediocre book which the author had clearly written while consuming copious quantities of pharmaceuticals. But knowing stuff from the book caused all sorts of cognitive dissonance while watching the movie.

But as far as science movies, I saw a good one recently, The Man From Earth (2007), anthropology.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?