Math & Science Related Films Worth Watching

• Thread starter Human4D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discussed various science fiction and science movies, such as Pi, A Beautiful Mind, Good Will Hunting, Cube, Cube 2, The Dish, Gattaca, Blade Runner, Sneakers, Primer, and The Man From Earth. Some people shared their predictions for movie sequels, while others expressed their opinions on different movies and made connections to books. Overall, the conversation touched on a variety of science-related topics and movies.
Human4D
Pi (1998)
Director: Darren Aronofsky

A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Director: Ron Howard

Good Will Hunting (1997)
Director: Gus Van Sant

Cube (1997)
Director: Vincenzo Natali

Cube 2: Hypercube (2002)
Director: Andrzej Sekula

Can anyone else think of some good ones ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Contact
Apollo 13
Twister
Men in Black ... Um!

The Dish (2000) with Sam Neill and Patrick Warburton.

Features one of the most incredible slide rule feats ever - 6 significant digits! (Okay, the movie has a few holes, but it's still a fun movie).

Gattaca(1997) Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman

Wait, I though Cube is sci-fi. Is it about math?

Funny story about Cube, by the way. I once was in a video rental store with a friend of mine, and we saw Cube. I made the random comment, "dude, they could make a sequel and call it Hypercube!" Five minutes later I located the sequel, and I had correctly predicted its title! Anyway, carry on...

Cool. I did the same thing once only with a different movie. Actually I did it with two separate movies. I predicted the titles of the sequels of both Rocky and The Godfather.

Wow no one has mentioned Blade Runner yet?

Sneakers (kind of)

Cube 1 and 2 were awesome!

Anyone see the indie movie "Primer". That was really trippy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CC60HJvZRE

Blade Runner seemed rather on the science fiction side of things to me. Though I have to confess I didn't really get it and I didn't find it very entertaining. I read the book first and I think that was a mistake; it was kind of a mediocre book which the author had clearly written while consuming copious quantities of pharmaceuticals. But knowing stuff from the book caused all sorts of cognitive dissonance while watching the movie.

But as far as science movies, I saw a good one recently, The Man From Earth (2007), anthropology.

FAQ: Math & Science Related Films Worth Watching

1. What types of films fall under the category of "Math & Science Related Films Worth Watching"?

Math & Science related films worth watching typically include documentaries, biopics, and dramas that focus on real-life or fictional stories about scientific discoveries, breakthroughs, or theories. These films often explore the personal and professional struggles of scientists and mathematicians, as well as the impact of their work on society.

2. Are these films only suitable for those with advanced knowledge in math and science?

No, these films are suitable for all audiences. While some may contain complex scientific concepts, they are presented in a way that is accessible to all viewers. These films often use creative storytelling and visuals to explain the science behind the story, making it easy for anyone to understand and appreciate.

3. Can these films be used as educational tools in the classroom?

Yes, many of these films are not only entertaining but also educational. They can be used as supplemental material in science and math classes to engage and inspire students. These films often provide a different perspective and can spark curiosity and interest in these subjects.

4. Are there any notable actors or directors who have worked on these types of films?

Yes, there are many well-known actors and directors who have worked on math and science-related films. Some notable examples include Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Aviator" (about aviation and engineering), Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Imitation Game" (about code-breaking and computer science), and Ron Howard who directed "A Beautiful Mind" (about mathematics and schizophrenia).

5. Can these films inspire a career in math or science?

Absolutely! These films often showcase the passion and dedication of scientists and mathematicians, as well as the real-world applications and impact of their work. They can inspire viewers to pursue a career in these fields, or at the very least, appreciate the importance and beauty of math and science.

Back