Math software for checking solutions and proofs?

In summary: Mathetmatica is a commercial software that is advertised as providing detailed solutions to problems.In summary, neither Mathetmatica nor Maplesoft provide step-by-step solutions to their problems, but Maple might.
abelgalois
Hello guys, I don't know where else to post this but here goes.

I'm going to be catching up on a looot of math this year. Unfortunately a lot of the math books that I'll be using only provide the answers to odd numbered questions. And the answers that they do provide a lot of the times "do not show the work". Is there software out there that will provide detailed proofs and solutions to most precalculus-calculus math problems?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither will provide a step by step solution. I think Maple might, actually if you use the tutor but that's only for differentiation and integration, last time I checked. I don't think it'll do anything else though.

naele said:
Neither will provide a step by step solution. I think Maple might, actually if you use the tutor but that's only for differentiation and integration, last time I checked. I don't think it'll do anything else though.

Ah thanks. It looks like I'll have to rely on the good people on the homework forum to check key proofs.

I'm genuinely sad that "Principles of Mathematics" by Oakley doesn't have may detailed solutions to its 2300 or so problems. I actually compared the book with Sullivan's "Algebra and Trigonometry" and the differences between the two was startling. In Sullivan's text one of the first things you learn about quadratics is how to solve a quadratic equation by factoring. In "Principle's of Mathematics" quadratic equations are introduced like this:

"Earlier we saw that the quadratic equation [tex]x^2 = 2[/tex] could not be solved
in the field of rational numbers and that [tex]x^ 2 = -1[/tex] could not be
solved in the field of real numbers. Thus it is clear that the axioms
of a field are not strong enough to assure that every solution of
every quadratic equation . It was the reason that we invented the
field of complex numbers, in which every quadratic equation has a
solution. In order to prove this consider the equation:

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]"

And then it derives theorems and proofs based on that. So we're actually expected to follow the chains of reasoning which led to this conclusion or that. And we're expected to understand them by proving certain things ourselves.

I can't believe this book is 70 years old... I think if I do every single problem in this book, Courant or Apostol will be a breeze.

Last edited:
Not sure of your level, but there are answer books available for many intro-level Math texts (Calc, Linear Algebra, ODEs) that give more detail for the answers than the ones at the back of the book. You can find many of the older editions for very cheap 2nd hand. Some Schaum's outlines contain a lot of worked proofs as well, but you have to watch for errors.

Maxima is a free (GPL) computer algebra system somewhat like Maple. Although it will not do any proofs, it can be useful for exploring aspects of math that can be tedious by hand.

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

1. What is "math software" for checking solutions and proofs?

"Math software" refers to computer programs or applications that are specifically designed to assist with mathematical calculations, problem-solving, and proof-checking. These programs often have built-in algorithms and formulas that can quickly and accurately check the correctness of mathematical solutions and proofs.

2. How does math software check solutions and proofs?

Math software uses various mathematical principles, algorithms, and formulas to check the correctness of solutions and proofs. These programs can perform complex calculations and comparisons at a much faster rate than humans, making them efficient tools for verifying mathematical work.

3. What are the benefits of using math software for checking solutions and proofs?

The benefits of using math software for checking solutions and proofs include increased accuracy, efficiency, and speed. These programs can catch errors that may be missed by humans and can also save a significant amount of time in the proof-checking process.

4. Are there different types of math software for checking solutions and proofs?

Yes, there are various types of math software available for checking solutions and proofs. Some programs are designed for specific mathematical fields, such as algebra or geometry, while others are more general and can assist with a wide range of mathematical problems. There are also both free and paid options for math software.

5. Can math software replace the need for human proof-checking?

No, math software cannot completely replace the need for human proof-checking. While these programs are highly accurate and efficient, they may not catch all errors or be able to verify the validity of more complex proofs. It is still important for humans to review and double-check mathematical solutions and proofs.